Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a JD B110 with a model 27 backhoe that uses a Quick Coupler AT196230. The couplers two zerk fittings will no longer accept grease and the mounting pin will no longer rotate inside its housing. Are there any tricks to getting the pin out? It looks like it should just punch out but so far it has defeated all my efforts. TIA for any inspirations

·
Administrator
11,065 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Can't help you, but sounds like it is pretty much seized up. Can you remove the zerks and see if you can get some penetrating oil in there, as well as getting some elsewhere between the pin and bushings? A little heat may help as well, prior to spraying oil all over it.
Is this a pin to remove the bucket, or to unhook the backhoe unit from the loader?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys - been there done that no help. Bought a $45 zerk Zapper (piece of crap). Removed the zerk, soaked the pin in wd40, Marvel, brakekleen, and diesel, tried to press it out with a 4ton press. Waiting for a 20 ton press to be delivered. Hate to heat and beat, this coupler costs $2800 to replace - the pin is only $100. Thinking about drilling it out but it seems to be tough steel so it might be a loooong drill session.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Are you trying to remove this pin without having the bucket on the ground? If so, you are wasting your time since you have way too much pressure on that pin to drive it out without doing damage to something......You might even have to raise the rear of the tractor up just a tad with the backhoe to get this pin loose......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply - I removed the bucket several weeks ago early in the process. But I will try raising the rear of the tractor as you suggested - good idea I had not thought of!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks for the reply - I removed the bucket several weeks ago early in the process. But I will try raising the rear of the tractor as you suggested - good idea I had not thought of!

You have to take all the pressure/weight off of the backhoe before it will come off.....Before you drive the pin all the way out, I would somehow block the bottom of the backhoe so it can't fall......This will make it easier to reconnect also....

·
Banned
3,188 Posts
If the pin is not rotating, it's seized in the bore and no matter what, you need to heat it, most likely with a acetylene torch. One thing I'll caution you about and that is grease. I presume you grease all the fittings regularly? You really want to get away from cheap clay based grease and switch to a synthetic grease as cheap clay base grease will harden over time and make things difficult to remove or even grease because it harden's in the grease fitting as well.

I've never had an issue with a grease fitting not taking grease or a pivot locked up because all I use is synthetic non clay based grease. It costs a bit more but in the end is so much better. Easy to tell the difference in grease, just read the tube, it will tell you what it contains and if it states 'clay' in the ingredients, put it back as it's only trouble down the road.

Of course frequent greasing with a clay based grease will work as it don't have time to harden but if you forget to grease a fitting, you'll pay in the end, like you are.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Heat is probably the only way to free the pin.

Can you get a rugged two jaw gear puller onto the pin? If so, tighten the puller stem against the stuck pin and whack it with a BFH (sledgehammer). You might have to drill a centered pilot hole in the stuck pin for the puller stem to seat in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SUCCESS! Thank you all for your ideas. The pin is out - Basically I finally used a rosebud oxy/acetyl for heat while pressing it with a 20 ton shop press. I only used the heat once sparingly until the pin moved slightly, and then went with only the press as I was nervous about the steel temper. Overall, progress was slow about 5 pumps on the jack and max pressure for a few millimeters, and once the pin was into its hole I had to use spacers because the press head was too big to follow the pin into the hole. One inch steel nuts worked for spacers. One hack that worked was whacking the opposing side of the coupler with a 12lb sledge a couple times when it was under pressure - you could feel the pin sliding. There was suprisingly little rust or dirt or grease on the extracted pin - just some very low corrosion; and very thin patches of grease, with some patchy metal to metal contact polishing.

Next comes cleaning and polishing and reassembly. I am thinking of machining the pin - cutting a slight groove around the circumference at the Zerk and an intersecting longitudinal groove the length of the pin on the side opposite of the zerk to help distribute grease, and taking a few thousandths off the diameter overall.

I learned some things (but don't want to do it again!) like how rosebuds work, about clay content grease, what a welding cutting rod does, how to ruin a 20 ton press, the beauty of a 12 lb sledge, solvents don't help a stuck pins, how to bend one inch grade bolts and nuts, and what a great forum this is. Thank you all again for your help!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts