1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Back blade/ brush hog

Discussion in 'John Deere' started by Ayayron, Dec 5, 2017 at 3:28 PM.

1. Ayayron

Ayayron New Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Any suggestions for maximum size to use on a 1020? Going to be plowing snow in Western NY. Rear track width is 7 ft.

Thanks
    Aaron

2. mastrkee

mastrkee New Member

May 8, 2017
    I would put one on as big as I could carry or at least a foot wider than the track width. I don't do snow so I can't speak to that aspect. I had a ten foot offset trailer type bush hog that came with the 1020 I used to own. The previous owner used it to mow under his peach trees. I used the cutter to mow pastures and roads until I tore it up cutting saplings that were a little bigger than I should have been cutting. The tractor, never had a problem with the cutter.

sixbales likes this.

3. Thomas

Thomas Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Back blade should be wide enough to cover rear wheels at 45 degrees.

BigT likes this.
  4. BigT

BigT Member

Sep 15, 2014
    An old rule-of-thumb regarding brush hogs is 5 HP per foot of deck width. Your tractor has about 38 pto HP. A 6' deck is fine, 7' would probably be OK, but might be too heavy to lift without the front end coming off the ground?? You might need front weights. I have a comparable Ford tractor, and a 1050 Lb mower makes it very light in the front end.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM
  5. Ayayron

Ayayron New Member

Nov 24, 2017
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it