Tractor Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I got the right one, third time is a charm. 2nd time never should have happened if I had a pair. Like the country song "I'm so easily lead when I think with my little head."

At one time my then 82 year old mother said "If you need it that bad just rent it once in a while." Which leads to another quote, "you don't pay a hooker for sex, you pay her to leave."

·
Registered
9 Posts
just do a 3 pt turn you have difficulties developing anything the can turn sharper
there is physics and engineering involved in trying to create your own it's hours and hours and you only have a 1 of a kind, it would more than likely not be able to put to mass production.
from what i learned its better to try to put 2 old case 222 or 444 or 442 the axles are OP for todays standards and they are hydro driven so no drive shafts to get in the way it would only be hoses, pumps, motors, valves but to get a valve you'll spend thousand or so to get a full flow body valve to supply your 2 axles and say a 3 pt hitch along with a steering cylinder at the min but you would also want a supply line to attach to your mowerdeck or rototiller endless what you can do with it tho

good luck

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Husky R120S.JPG Ok, some pics of my recent buy. No hour meter (yet) so I estimate the hours to be at most 300 hours, more likely less than 200. A few minor cosmetic issues. The strap on the mower deck is to hold a portion of the mower deck hanger frame at a broken weld. Also, compared with the Husqvarna factory photo the front deck arms on my mower are bent in a manner that the rollers are not level. However, since the mower deck actually hangs from the front frame, its still quite level to the surface. Another repair project for this winter. Though does make me wonder how the original owner managed to bend the deck hanger frame. The frame tag confirms the model year as 2013 and it was built in Sweden.
20200926_180332.jpg 20200926_180352.jpg 20200926_180413.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks good. They've really streamlined them, and your deck frame looks much simpler than mine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah, the earlier Rider12 and Rider16 had one belt to the deck, and another belt to drive the spindles. My R120S uses one long 110" belt to drive the spindles from a main drive pulley under the center of the frame. Also, the R120S has a 19.5hp single B&S Intek. I haven't found the engine tag yet to confirm if its a B&S Professional versus the Intek.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Right machine for my yard"
Yep... Felt the same way about marrying an ex-wife the 1st day after the wedding. Eventually the wheels fell off, was broke all the time, and cost me a hell of a lot of money by the time I got out of it......:)

The good thing about a lawn mower when you realize you made a mistake is you can always put it on the curb with a big sign "Free for the taking". With a wife, they make you call the Lawyer you saw on a billboard that was advertising "Low Cost Divorce", while driving the U-haul to the Budget Storage, and finding out there is no such thing....:rolleyes:
J

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Put a mulching block off plate on the deck of my R120S, sharpened the blades and got the tall grass cut last week. Mulching worked really well as I could barely tell of any grass clumps. The two blades on the 42" deck handled the amount of grass and the cut results looked good. Perhaps because the deck passes over the grass before the tires roll over the grass. I lowered the tire pressure on all for tires and it rides ok, compared to the ride of the 52" deck Simplicity ZTR I was also using last summer. The R120S has a shorter, more narrow wheelbase so it rides a bit more rough than the wider, longer wheelbase of the ZTR. I really like the easy steering and foot controls for the hydro drive. One pedal for forward, another for reverse, and a left pedal foot brake. With the deck in front and those controls it is real easy to get close to items, trees, plants in the yard and left with very little trimming to do. Right machine for my yard.

I got the busted weld repaired on the deck mount arm, so that is solid. Now I just need to find a spray can paint match for the dark grey Husqvarna color (and not pay $27 for a spray can from Husqvarna). Its a unique great machine very well suited to my 1/2 acre yard with lots of trees and items to cut around. It is a much more complicated machine than a basic ZTR, so the cost to buy one was higher than a like sized ZTR. Seems the ZTRs are much more popular here in the US. But Husqvarna and Stiga have articulated mowers in Europe. Quite satisfied I got my R120S for under $500.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Now that I have mowed my 1/2 acre heavily treed non-flat yard many times with the Husky R120S I m convinced its a better mower, producing a better cut quality than a ZTR. I think if I were looking for a large commercial style ZTR, I'd go for the Walker T model:
Walker also makes a slick R model for residential applications. I'm sold on the front deck design.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Now that I have mowed my 1/2 acre heavily treed non-flat yard many times with the Husky R120S I m convinced its a better mower, producing a better cut quality than a ZTR. I think if I were looking for a large commercial style ZTR, I'd go for the Walker T model:
Walker also makes a slick R model for residential applications. I'm sold on the front deck design.
Walker makes great machines.... The problem with the T model for a commercial lawn guy is it's 93" long, where as a Lazer Z Exmark is 75" long. 18" inches in length doesn't sound like a lot, but a commercial lawn guy will tell you it takes up to much room on the trailer. Makes sense when you have to load and unload it off a trailer 10 times a day. A ZTR also has no tail swing to worry about bashing into stuff.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
All true. A Walker R series does look like a really nice machine for the home yard, and the price at under $5000 is competitive with a typical quality ZTR. I'm quite pleased with the Husqvarna R120S I bought last fall. It does a really nice job on my 1/2 acre lot with lots of trees. I'd buy a Husqvarna R322T if I ever find one cheap. There is one for sale about 1.5 hours from Green Bay, but the seller wants $2500 for a 2013 machine. I got by really cheap at $400 for the RWD R120S I bought last fall.

Been getting miles on the Gold Wings this season? Next Monday I arrive at Taylor in Louisville to begin another 100 day project. Hopefully done by mid-September. I entertain myself by shopping CL when out of town, in hopes to find a stupid cheap deal on something desirable.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts