Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this Aries/Sno-tek snowblower for a few years. It's always been difficult to start but today I'm at a standstill. I put in new gasoline, new sparkplug, I put starter fluid in sparkplug area. It fired but a few seconds later it died. I pull and pull on the starter but nothing. I don't have the ability to take it anywhere, no truck or trailer. I'm just stuck with it.
IMG_20171214_134059082_HDR.jpg
Any Ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
you can do 3 easy checks, start by removing the spark plug and check for a good spark, secondly remove the tappet cover and check valve clearances,(only if you feel there is no compression) and thirdly, remove the air cleaner assembly and then remove the carby float bowl nut and check if water runs from the bowl, don't remove the bowl for this check, you will disturb the bowl gasket.
I would squirt the starter fluid into the inlet manifold while the air cleaner assembly is off.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Do you have the model,and serial numbers,on it?
I'm guessing you mean it's an Ariens ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fixed it! I took the copper/brass bowl off the carb float and sprayed carb cleaner into the injector tube. Reassembled and it started with one pull! The question is why? What did I actually do? Over the next few days I plan on starting it, just to keep it in running condition. I have to keep it outside covered with a tarp. A cold fuel line could give it problems. Another problem I know it's always had is surging. If the choke is turned all the way open the engine doesn't surge, but only if it runs for awhile I turn the choke down, and it surges. It is an Ariens, but I forgot to write down the numbers. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Do you use fuel stabilizer? It might have had some old jelled fuel in the bowl from sitting in the off season. Fuel stabilizer is good for up to 18 months it keeps the fuel from going bad, and clogging up the carb. Seafoam works good for clearing it out now that you got it started.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
With ethanol fuel, the carb should have fuel ,with stabilizer in it ,and then run dry,before storage.
Otherwise ,the fuel will gel,and form a gum/sludge.
Ethanol fuel only has a storage life of about 100 days.

Reactions: wjjones and FredM

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some Sea FoamI can use. I think I should be using on the toys too. Lawn tractor, weed whacker, chainsaw, leaf blower?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Whodah worst thing you can do with no fighting chance is no stabilizing of the fuel for the off season, I buy the ethanol free fuel at shut down in April and never had a problem till I broke my routine this past spring

Sent from my iPad using Tractor Forum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts