Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fun topic to dwell into
It amazes me how many people think they are so important that they need to keep a cell phone on then all the time. I know of 3 ER doctors I worked for that dont have cell phones, only pagers. My neighbor an attorney does not have a cell phone either. Only an office phone and home.
But i go to taco bell and i see the guy making chalupa with a cell phone makes me laugh.
Or how about the 12 year old kid on a skateboard in the middle of a country road skating down the road a cell phone. That was hillarious!
What makes these people So important that 24 hours contact is so vital? It irratates me that people answer phones in meetings and dont even leave the room they jsut sit there talking putting everyone else on hold while they chat away.
I have not had a cell phone in years , and i feel so much at ease without it.
Most people i know with cell phones hate them, but keep on carrying them like its a vital organ.
Anyone else share these thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I agree with you.

Now I do have a cell phone, that I do carry with me, but only a few REAL close frends, and my famley have the number. Pretty much the only time it rings is my wife. And more times than not she's broken down somewere. So will I get rid of it? No, I feel it is a safty thing. Do I REALY use it? Nope. Heck I am on the phone all day at work. People know not to call unless it's important.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Well I think there are several issues at play here, SF. Cell phones are here to stay and in fact more and more house POTS lines are being cancelled and/or eliminated with the cell phone. I happen to be "one of those people who find the vital need" to have a cell phone available at all times. Of course I have networks that have to be operational 24/7 and therefore I need to make sure that I can be reached in the event of a major outage. You need to address why you feel it is important to look down upon the Taco Bell or other minimum wage worker who wants to have a cell phone. While the cell phone used to be a symbol of status and prosperity in some regard, now it is basically an accessory --- something like a wallet to most people.

I would never exist without one. Why? The efficient ability to communicate at nearly anytime with others and also the ability to gather information w/o having to wait until I reach a landline. Are you telling me that is it not easier to use the cell to call for directions while driving to someone's house? Not easier for your wife to call home in the event of a problem with the vehicle? How about your daughter's school to contact you while you are on the road to inform you that she needs medical attention? How about to locate a friend who you are supposed to meet, but now you are unexpectedly stuck in traffic and will be late for the lunch meeting or date?

Sure life was simpler and I guess "purer" before the rampant advent of cell phones for the masses. But such amish beliefs cannot replace the Epicurian behavior for the people of the world.
Do you realize that in other countries like Sweden and Norway that the cell phone is not only a phone but a item that is used for nearly any purchase? They literally point the cell phone at the vending machine, supermarket checkout device, etc and buy the item and have it backcharged to their account. To me that is a little overkill, but how much more so than your standard "Exxon SpeedPass" that is waved around for gas and goodies at your local gas station?

While I will agree that in some ways the abuse of the device has gotten out of control and it is especially humoruous that kids find the need to impress others with their newest cell phone....What can you do? Sure not everyone needs a cell phone, just like everyone does not NEED a new truck with a V10 to carry the kids to school and tow the occassional boat. Nor do people NEED to have anything excessive --- but we are creature of excess and in some ways the cell phone is just one more tool in that hideous toolbelt.

So, just smile knowing you are content with your choice in this matter and others are free to choose their path likewise. It is not wrong or immortal, just different than your own. Smiles!

:peace:

·
674 Posts
My wife got me a cell phone for christmas. I wanted one for those times I am out fishing or hiking.... never know it could save your life.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No one is looking down at the taco bell employee or the kid on the skateboard. But why must someone be in touch 24 is kinda a waste. It feeds the "wanting everything now" attitude which many people despise nowdays. Im sure the kid on the skateboard has gained nothing in learning about responsiblity. Becuase he does not not need to learn how to manage time since his parents will call him for home every night for dinner.
When he late he can always say. "well you didnt call me" or "i had my phone with me."
I am saying as convient as they are, there is a time and place for everything.
I feel if I break down i will talk a nice stroll to the gas station like i have done many times. Convinent they are but more of a hassle in long the long run. I feel no need for one, as the Job wont go out of business becuase im not availble.
It depends on the person. Im just not as important as you I guess , you know to be in touch a finger tip to everyone on the planet 24 hours a day.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Well, you seem to have a serious issue with your concept of society and how it must fit into your version of reality. My importance as an individual has no bearing upon my requirement to have a cell phone on a 24/7 basis. My responsibility to the 250K customers who use the Internet service in my immediate regional area carries a very large importance to my continued tenure with my employer. I am not in favor of the rampant issuance of cell phones to children just for the sake of loose morals and lack of personal attentiveness or responsibility. I agree with you on that angle --- kids need to be more accountable for their duties and tasks and less dependent on people reminding them what needs to be done and when.

Well, unless you happen to break down near a nice exit near a town with 24/7 gas service, then you might want to rethink that argument. In most of the places that I travel between I cross a great # of remote Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama towns with no understanding of "late-night fuel stations" --- There have been a multitude of times that I have literally been very fortunate to locate a station in the standard evening hours for fuel not to mention service. 90% of my communication on my cell phone is work related only. I only use the phone for conversing with my immediate family and close friends a portion of the time.

Your dismay about the condition of the world and its usage of cell phones will not change anything. I too feel that all of this has come too soon and it does carry a price along with its advertised convenience. Increased chatter while driving, more distractions at work, less productivity with the masses, more demands from the all-mighty employers who demand your time --- even away from the office. It is the price we pay I guess for the advancement in technology and the affordability of the devices to the masses. Like anything else it has fallen into hands which tend to abuse more than truly use the devices for which they were once intended ---- Remember this though, the all mighty economic impact has been great with the continued advent of these super cell providers ---

So, different sides to the same story I guess. Thanks for the OT post, SF.

Smiles
Andy

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think the advent of the camera phone is an interesting thing to debate. As time goes on, people are starting to realize that snapping pictures on the sly may not be that "cool" a thing. They have banned them in the athletic club I belong to because of the possibility of people taking pictures in the locker room. My sister works in a bank and I asked her what the reaction would be if I walked into the bank and started snapping pictures with a camera. Not positive, was the answer. Just like any other technology, it can be misused.
I don't see a problem with my kids having phones for the sake of safety. :worm: It's still too cost prohibitive IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
All my engineers (and me) are required to carry phones 24 X 7 in order to service our customers. I kind of understand your position, but you have to understand it is part of the ever changing world.

For instance, most homes did not have a "phone" in the "olden days". If you wanted to make a call you had to go in town. Now *most* homes do have phone. So should you fall into that category... why do you need a phone in your house 24 X 7 for your *few* phone calls?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Do most of us need them.......NO! Do they make our lives more convenient....Yes! Then why do we have them....... BECAUSE WE CAN!:smoking:

I do think there is a time and place to use them. Nothing makes me more frustrated than to be talking to someone and have their phone ring and them say, hold on a sec I need to take this real quick. 5 minutes later you are trying to remember what you were talking about!:mad:#[email protected]$: Our realtor In Vegas did it all the time between his pager and phone you couldn't get a word in!

I think they can be just like anything else, a great tool for the people using them. They can be a great annoyance as well. People also need to remember most new phones do have a vibrate feature, and they need to use it!
nodeal

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Hey Andy, can you post your cell phone # just in case we need to get in touch with you? ;) :cowboy: :idea: :clown: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Seriously, I still have my prehistoric model 638 Nokia and the same 10 minute per month cell phone plan I purchased way back in 1997. For the most part, I take the phone with me and keep it where I can get to it VERY easy and FAST when I am cutting firewood. I also take it out on the boat. The wife uses it if she drives very far from home. It is used more as an aid to get help in an emergency or break down.

The cell phone also provided tremendous entertainment during my time in the military. There was ALWAYS somebody who forgot to turn off their cell phone or put it on silent ring during briefings from folks like LTG Cody or other NONE cell phone friendly commanders and it was hilarious watching the ensueing ass chewing that individual got when their cell phone went off in the middle of the briefing. :furious: :furious: :furious: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :idea:

Cell phones are a good thing but and with just a smidgen of courtesy and common sense on the part of the user; they are really not any more of an impositon than any other piece of technology.

Sorry to say that true to the "ugly American" stereo type; the vast majority of Americans abuse them and make themselves obnoxious not to mention extremely dangerous using them. Especially those who use non-hands free cell phones while driving. They are no different than a drunk driver and should be subject to the same punishments to include confiscation of the automobile and cell phone.

I think eventually cell phones will be a subconsciously accepted item such as things like car door lock remote opener, digital watches, etc. They like most other things have the right time and place for their use and non-use.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Money Maker

I have had calls on my cell that have paid for my phone for my lifetime. I turn it off and let my voice mail answer when I am in church, at a movie, attending a funeral, meeting with a customer, doing something that take total consentration. I have hands free in my dump truck, wired through the stereo.
At the prison they are not allowed and the officers had better not get caught with one. Some still take the chance and sneak them in. I for one would not want the inmates to get hold of it.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
??

Originally posted by Chief
Slip, hope nobody from the prison reads this web site. ;) :D :idea: :clown: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Why is that Chief? They all know the rules and as a supervisor if I catch them with a cell phone in the blocks they will face the music. I don't make the rules just enforce them.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Cell phones i HATE THEM they are OK for what they are intended for but they should not be use by someone driving a car. I drive 90 miles a day and there is nothing i hate worst then people talking on cell phones. They can say what they want they are a distraction even the hands free ones. They just cant drive and talk at the same time i got run off the road today by some stupid woman dialing her phone. The road turn and she didn't because she was to busy looking at here stupid phone. There is nothing so important that cant wait till you get home or stop at a store. I cannot wait till they band people from driving and talking on the phone. I have heard them go off at Church at Weddings and at Funerals some people just don't have respect for anything. So no i don't like cell phone when they are not use the way they should be. In a couple of year you well more then liking lose your home phone because so many people are getting cell phones and you will see the rates sky rocket no more anytime min or free long distance you just watch they will get there money back the cell phone people that is.
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I hate all phones PERIOD! But they are a necessity of life for a lot for many different reasons. I came up on a tractor trailer that was in a wreck on a country road, no phones around and it kept catching fire, and until someone finally came along and happened to have a cell phone to call for help. Not that it mattered much, as the driver died while I was rendering him aide, but I still did not want to see him go up in smoke even if dead, and I was about beat throwing dirt etyc on the flames keeping it back. Another time one wold have been very handy was when my wife and I got injured.......so now we both have a cell phone and its only for our own use between us and some close friends, and used as a last resort. I had the opportunity to call the police on mine while in a freezer in a WalMart store to report a shooting going on in the store. We saw punks in the aisles shooting at each other, and peoiple just started to flee. I grabbed the wife and we ran into the stock area in ther groceries section and got inside one of the large meat freezers, and called 911. Two gangs having a shootout inside a Wal MArt is pityfull.

Its handy to call if your gonna be late or to see if there is anything that you need to pick up in town, especially if you live in the country and over 25 miles to town, or when your supposed to be home at a routine time and something comes up. Pay Phones in this area are getting harder and harder to find.

I do however hate it when people sit at traffic lights shooting the bull or are in a check out line and they call home to get the latest needs while their younging goes for the items and mom holds the space in the checkout line. And yes, phone conversations and calls conducted in places such as meetings and etc are not right.

They are here to stay.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
It bugs me to see people driving with them.It really bugs me to see kids with them.I use one on the farm its a big help when your 10 miles from the house and have a break down. Or you need a ride to move machinery field to field.Or need you help to bring chemicals or seed.I really do not know how we did it before the cell phone its a big help.But we use it for business not pleasure.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts