Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that there are more bad drivers on the road then ever.Too Fast,Too slow,Cell Phone Talkers,No Turn Signals,Drunks,Tailgaters,Turn From the wrong lane,In a hurry to pull out so they can slow you down,Defy death to pass so they can tailgate the next vehicle in line or a thousand other things people do on the road that kills everyday!

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
depends where you are... im originally from Mass, but have been in maine for 10 years the difference between maine drivers and 'massholes' as the natives fondly refer to mass people as is stricking...

Up here they take their time.. in mass they'd rather run you down than let you out onto a road...
sj

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's called a Boston Left

I used to have to go to Boston from time to time. People making lefts,just turn,you stop or you hit them.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
we used to go down in my girls little nissan sentra.... no more, we have to take the truck.. all the SUV's and others will pay no attention to a little car...

id guess its no better in NY or CA.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Just got back from Chicago and I must say that they are pretty bad out there. Especially the Cabbies. I had one not even look while he blew by me (a no look pass perhaps?)

Thank god it is a fun city to go to. Otherwise, no one would go there.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I live 70 miles south of Chicago and I do not go there.To me it is not a fun city.I avoid the jungle and even getting within 40 miles of it.They drive like there nuts here also.But there worse there just like all the big concrete holes in the earth.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Johndeere, I just read an interesting article about Chicago and how they have set up their sewer system over the last 150 years. Did you know they actually reversed the flow of the river to go away from the lake in order to keep their drinking water clean? Maybe the city wasn't the wrong place to be back then.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
We had a great time in the city this week. Great bars(ESPN Zone, Rock Bottom Brewery, etc) , great restaurants(Carmine's, Fogo de Chao), great hotels. My expense report for 5 days was over $3,000 total. ($1200 just for the hotel, and another $450 for rental car and parking)

It is expensive, but we did get a lot done.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Another Chicago story. Monday i drove to Milwaukee. Just getting out of the city took me 3 hrs on the Edens expressway.

On the way back in the afternoon, I made it inbound in a little under 45 minutes. Total one way trip was about 2 hrs.

Just lovely Chicago traffic.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Although I'm nowhere near a big city, we have our fair share of hair combers, lipstick applying drivers here too, along with the usual cell phones plugged in their ears. It's not safe to be on the road in the before and after work traffic especially. What may be just as bad or worse are the tourists. They all come from the straight roads of the flatlands and try to make these crooked mountain roads straight. You never know where they're going to drive or stop. Usually in the middle of the road to install chains or watch deer. Glad I work at home......

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
It doesn't matter where you go. Get by any major city and you take your life in your own hands. Now when the city comes north to visit the country, it gets just as bad around here. :eek:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
good point PeteNM, the cell phones are the worst....

im not really for more gov regulations, but they should force those with phones in cars to use those headsets... of course they can still kill you while dialing or looking up the number on their phone pad...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I use a cellphone pretty extensively, but I use the speakerphone function. That way, I can eat my hamburger, type my messages on Tractorforum.com (Maintain and extend my soon to be lead over SimpleJohn) and change the CD at the same time.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I wonder how everyone got along before there were cell phones? Guess that was a dumb question, just like I do now......

I suppose I should admit I do have one in my new pickup that is operated by voice somehow. I haven't even gotten the number yet so I've never tried it. It will be an emergency only thing for me.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I use mine for over 3,000 minutes/month (50 hours if you prefer) Much of that is for business. About 100-200 are strictly for partial minutes that I get charged for.

Gets kinda expensive, but it is a necessity. Much better than the day when you had to know where the pay phones were in order to make a call.

I did see something I've never seen before. I stayed at a hotel in Chicago this weekend and they charged you for room to room calls and wake up call service calls($.10/call) Only call they don't bill you for is to the front desk.

Now that's BS. I used my cellphone to call in my wakeup call every night as my phone service is free after 7pm every night. Really annoyed the front desk, but I can't believe that they pulled that . Its not enough to charge over $200/ night...

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Originally posted by leolav

Now that's BS. I used my cellphone to call in my wakeup call every night as my phone service is free after 7pm every night. Really annoyed the front desk, but I can't believe that they pulled that . Its not enough to charge over $200/ night...
Where there's a will, they'll find a way to sap a bit more $$ from people. Kind of reminds me of credit card companies. They charge the vendor XX% for using the card and the buyer XX% interest if they don't pay at the end of the month. Grrrrrrrr

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
You know I think there are a few things that are causing it.

One, all the "safe car" adds. I think people feel that there car is SO safe that they can't get hurt.

Driver traning. Whats that?? You go in, sit in a room for a few hours with some guy that probably has had 5 crashes last year, 3 from a DWI. Watch a few movies,[Bloud on the windsheld] and call it a day. Come on!!!! lets get real.

NO ONE TAKES ANY ACCOUNTABILTY FOR THERE OWN ACTIONS!!! It is always someone elses falt. It was not that I was doing 90 talking on the phone, changing lanes in the snow, with bald tires, and brake pads worn to the backing plates. It was a badly designed SUV, ya that was it, It could NOT have been MY falt. If thaey had put those outriggers on from the factury, I would not have crashed. BTW where is my 2.6mil?? Does not matter that I would not have paid mor to GET the safty stuff on when I bought it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What inspires my crazy driving is all of those car commercials showing cars careening out of control. (I can't read the fine print about a professional driver on a closed course.)

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wheely

I find that if someone is driving like Mario Andretti at least they are paying attention.They ussually are so involved that all they are doing is driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts