Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(You’ll quickly see that I’m a complete novice in this work. No comments or suggestions will be too basic for me.). My dad just gave me his old MF 261. It quit on him in the field the last time he used it. I changed the fuel filter but could not get fuel to come into the filter using the lever on the pump. I checked the line coming from the tank and nothing was coming out. I shot air into it and the fuel began to flow. Hooked it back up to the pump and tried the lever arm and nothing got into the filter. I turned the key just to to see and a small amount of fuel got into the bowl under the filter. I don’t know if the line is stopped again or if there is something with the pump or am I missing something else entirely. What are your thoughts on how to tackle this? How do I go about cleaning out the tank? I’m trying to go through the owners manual but haven’t found it to be the most helpful. Several diagrams are mislabeled or missing and the instructions aren’t the best. Any additional better resources you can direct me to would also be appreciated. Thanks! Josh

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,423 Posts
There may be a filter screen in the tank on the end of that shutoff valve. If you remove it to check, have a pail to catch any fuel. That'll give you a good idea of what's in the tank. Then work your way to the injectors from there and see if you can find where the system is plugged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got cold feet on removing the fuel tap, I thought I’d try to bleed all the air and see if I had fuel moving all the way to the injectors. I think I got all the air out and only field at all the points noted in the manual. I tried turning it over (had to use a battery booster as this is an old battery and was wearing down upon cranking) but it didn’t do much. Was going to post a video but it won’t let me. It was just cranking away but didn’t sound like anything was catching or really trying to start at all. Any thoughts on next steps? Again, a complete newbie in the mechanical world so all thoughts are welcome, regardless how simple you think they may be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts