Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post on the damanged apple tree got me thinking of something I wanted to ask.

I have two apple trees in the back part of my yard, and we are picking up a few more, and are going to start a kinda a mini orchard. [5-10 trees] I already have the two, so they are set, but anytips for laying out the rest? Any ground prep I should do? And other info I can get would be awsome. Not looking to start a apple busness, just looking for some for the famly, and also to look nice in the yard.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip PM:D :D Trust me, the trees are going in, but at the same time other trees are getting cut out, so in the end, there will be a lot fewer trees.

Well planted my first two trees yesterday. Decided not to plant were the other two trees were. Just not in a nice place, and they realy are not good looking trees. All misshapen, so think they may come down. The two look nice, and kinda break up a big oped part of the yard. Now to just water, water, and water them so they will grow.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Thanks for the tip PM:D :D Trust me, the trees are going in, but at the same time other trees are getting cut out, so in the end, there will be a lot fewer trees.

Well planted my first two trees yesterday. Decided not to plant were the other two trees were. Just not in a nice place, and they realy are not good looking trees. All misshapen, so think they may come down. The two look nice, and kinda break up a big oped part of the yard. Now to just water, water, and water them so they will grow.
Paul...if these apple trees are mishapen, you can reshape and improve their yield at the same time...Can you get a picture of these trees?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
I would say the most important thing would be to dig as big a hole as reasonabley possible for the tree so it starts off with a good base of very good potting soil and nutrients. Those plastic tree trunk protectors are a must too. Saves it from the weed eater.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Chief
I would say the most important thing would be to dig as big a hole as reasonabley possible for the tree so it starts off with a good base of very good potting soil and nutrients. Those plastic tree trunk protectors are a must too. Saves it from the weed eater.
Well dug out about a 3foot circle. About a foot or so deep. I had got compost to add to the dug out dirt, but I have to tell you, the dirt I dug out was AWSOME!!! Black black, and just LOADED with worms. REAL nice dirt, foot pluss deep:) :) So mostly just pulled the rocks out, and planted. Planning on mulching the rings for now, to keep the mower away.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
:ditto: Serious rock in my part of NB! We'd have to use our backhoe to plant a tree in the yard!
When my contractor dug my basement he dug out rocks bigger than the hind tires on his CAT backhoe!:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess I am lucky huh?:)

Biggest rock I found was about softball size. Biggest I saw come out of the house hole was about football size. Most are about golfball size. My well guy, that had lived in my area his while life, and used to have his shop just the other side on the rr tracks called it "gravely loam" Quite a few rocks, bit all small. ie lots of rock picking, but you dont get sore doing it.:D

·
674 Posts
For a mini orchard I would go with mini trees, seriously plant dorwf apple trees. You will be able to get more trees in a given area of different varieties, they will bear fruit sooner than full sized trees, they don't get as tall and therefore are easier to spray and prune. The trees will be small but the apples are full sized.

Aphids are a big problem around here for apple trees. In early summer you have to spray weekly to keep them at bay. A good root feeding in the fall with a fertilizer designed for fruit trees is best and also you around here you can have frost damage.
Other pest on fruit trees are bore worms. inch worms and tent caterpillars

When spraying fruit trees I use a mix of Sevin, Malitian an a fungicide like dacronil (forgive my spelling). It is also a good idea to add a spreader-sticker agent to the mix to ensure good coverage.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Paul,

They say the best way to prune an apple tree is to do it in staging. If I recall correctly from my master gardener class, it was about every one to two feet up. I'll try to get a better explanation for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts