Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am looking to condence a few of my cars into one, and was looking for a Jeep Cherokee, or Grand Cherokee. Anyone have one, and have an idea what I can expect out of it for MPG? I have a full size van, that will tow my boat, but only gets about 15mpg, and a Caravan that gets 20-22 but cant tow my boat. I would like to find a 4wd, that tows, and gets somewere near 20mpg. Oh and it would have to be used.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Cherokee. Right now we're running an '88 and a '98. The 4.0 is very highly regarded. You probably won't average 20mpg, but 17-18 isn't uncommon. www.Ilovejeeps.com is a good site for info. Don't be afraid of 100,000 miles on a used one. We're talking 4wd, I imagine. Style change in '97 resulted in a bit smaller interior.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
My brother in-law has a 2001 Cherokee for his company vehicle. It has the 4.0 liter. He puts probably close to 30,000 miles per year or more on it. He has had very few problems with it and loves it. Not sure what size boat you are considering towing with it but don't expect very good towing performance if the boat is very large or heavy. Get the 5 speed manual if you plan to tow. I agree with Frankie. The 4.0 is a very good engine with an excellent track record.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hi
We had a few Cherokees with the 4.0 engine. We had a couple
of the little sport ones and the 4.0 did a great job. Then we got a Grand with the 4.0 and it was such a dog that we got rid of it and got one with a V8. My wife worked for Chrysler and we got new ones every year before she retired. I also heard the same thing form other people about the
Grand being a real slug with the 4.0.
Rodster

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am leaning towards a Cherokee becouse I have one now. Granted it is not like what I am looking for, becouse it is just a 2.5L. BUT the thing is awsome. Has 250k on it, and has been through hell and back. Would like to get something like it but newer[mine is an 86], a little better shape, and more power. Best thing about the little Cherokees? They are one of the few SUV's that can REALY go off road. Only thing I did to mine was a change to 30x9.5 tires, and a home made 2" lift and she will go anywere. Heres a shot of the old girl.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I suggested the V-8 over the 6 cylinder...you can pick up a 95 or newer cheap enough, that has a machine in 4 wd all the time..

Plenty of power, after market kits, etc...I have a 95 with original miles (48k) looking for a reason to upgrade, but i cant the thing is too mint...I done enough mods to boost the power from stock 225 HP to 280 plus best guess without tapping into engine...
Header, catback, ECM, TPI plate, K&N, K&N air plenum system
and a few more goodies...

Ducati

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
This Jeep Cherokee has plenty (even a stock one does) To haul
a fully loaded enclosed 6 x 12 trailer with 2 bikes for 10 hours hauls in 95 degreee weather with A/C on and passengers...
It also hauls my JD 4100 around with no problem....It has a class 4 hitch package...only the V-8 come with that option

Ducati

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Nice looking rig you have there Duc! Nice lookin' pooch too! I bet he or she? puts the groceries away! :D Like I said on TP; you have a LOT of cool toys! :D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks nice, but the biggy........... What kind of MPG? Already have a van that pulls AWSOME, but just gets REAL shity MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Thanks chief I got the other message at TP ! My Lab is a boy
and he always goes with us , you leave a door open and he jumps in for a ride!!

The Cherokees are boxy so you wont get great MPG to begin with. Actuall my mpg is approx 17 mpg maybe better...

You dont want something underpowered. Eventually the price of gas comes down....V-8's last longer anyway

Duc

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
We feel bad leaving this guy behind when we go on trips
but as you can tell, there isnt a car made big enough..
And I'm not about to go out and buy one big enough for him!!

I didnt want to have my mug in the picture but most people think
I'm a block head anyway....

Old English mastiff - 220 lbs and growing

Ducati

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts