Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to get a big 3rd row truck for my family -- preferably a nice used Suburban at this point. Was just wondering if anyone here in the family had anything like this coming up for replacement or sale. With my parent's getting older, I would rather take one big vehicle when we go out and visit etc. Would just make everything much more comfortable --- plus it would give us more room on trips, etc. I really like the older Suburbans 94-99 models (I know they are huge and all) but they seem to be decent trucks. Any opinions?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated likewise.
Thanks a million.

Andy
:smiles:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Andy, I would caution you to be VERY careful here. I had a fully loaded 1993 Suburban K2500 purchased new and it was the worst vehicl I have EVER had. :furious: It developed a rod knock at 32,000 miles, the A/C was laughably inadequate, both side view mirrors came loose from vibration and fell off, the transmission frequently over heated, the engine frequently over heated, both rear axle seals failed and the brakes were horribly inadequate just to list a few of the problems. This was all covered under warranty but the fixes still did not address the problems well at all.

This vehicle was especially bad for towing due to its tendency to over heat. When towing the boat, I had to run the heater full blast with the window down on hills. This was in spite of the fact that I installed removed the 195 degree thermostat and installed a 180 and installed a Hayden Severe Duty fan clutch. I also installed an external auxiliary trans. cooler in addition to the factory tow package which included 4.10 gears. I also installed a Mag-Hytek transmission oil pan and ran Amsoil synthetic trans. fluid. The trans. would still over heat and puke oil and yes I did not tow in OD.

The truck was a gas hog and had no power in spite of the fact that I installed a chip, and many other hp adding mods.

In short, the Suburban was a VERY nice looking vehicle for which I got MANY complements but was a peice of junk. I initially tried to get Chevrolet to buy the truck back through BBB arbitration but they would not. The truck spent as much time in the shop as it did on the road. The newer versions have problems with piston slap and a laundry list of other problems. It is and will be the LAST GM truck I buy.

I am not a Ford guy Andy, but I thing they are far better than GM which is not saying much. For what you are looking for; I would suggest taking a look at the Ford Excretion with the 7.3 liter Power Stroke diesel. Do not get the gas engine in this truck. It is grossly underpowered and is a gas toilet. You can expect 20 - 21 mpg with this vehicle provided you drive at or below 60 mph. The mileage drops off fast above this speed.

DON'T ask me what I REALLY think about Suburbans. :devilish: :flamedevi :mad:#[email protected]$: :doubledev :cowboy: :idea: :smiles: :lmao:

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Come on

Chief tell us what you really think:lmao: And what is an Ford Excretion :lmao: I think you mean Excursion:smiles:
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow --- tell us what you really think. :D Maybe the later models were better Chief? Like 96-99? Does anyone have access to check on reliability ratings for this vehicle for those years?
Would be interesting to see how they changed (if any) I agree but I want to really watch costs with this vehicle. Expeditions are nice, but dunno if they are big enough with the 3rd row.

Will check it out. Thanks for the candid advice.
Andy

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I had a 2000 Expedition with third row and traded it in for a 2003 with thrid row. Awesome truck. Didn't trade it due to problems, traded it due to addiction with getting new cars/trucks.

Cons specific to your listed requirements...
Third row is accessible via folding forward second row seat on passenger side. Typically, it is only obvious to the owner of the truck, so plan on walking around to let people in and out the first few times.

2000 did not have electric third row... it was a heavy pull out model. Worked, but annoying to take in and out.

The 2003 has electric power fold!!!!

Love the truck and would do it all over again... both years, but 03 more-so.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
There ya go! Tis is a happy camper. The Excursion is a monster in size and the 3rd seat is ready accessible. The new models are out of the galaxy expensive. (over 60K for the new diesel models) Tis must be pullin' down the BIG bucks. I seriously think you will like the diesel powered version as it offers huge low end torque and very reasonable mileage. It is not a bad tow vehicle provided you keep the weights down to moderate amount.

So...........does this mean I get a recomendation fee and sales commision for changing your mind about Suburbans:question: :question: :question: :cowboy: :idea: :smiles: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
We bought the 97 Expedition when it came out and drove it for 5 years. We traded it in for a 02. Like Tis said the 02 has the remove yourself 3rd row seat. It weighs about 70lbs. It does have a kick stand type bracket so you can fold it in toward the middle seats. The 03 do have the electric 3rd row seats that hide in the floorboard. When we take trips we have to take out the seat and leave it at home. When we get where we are going we come up a little short on places to sit. The 03 is a better deal on the seating issues. :ditto:

We also got the captains chairs in the second row with the entertainment system, they came with the truck so I can't complain. If I had to do over I would probably skip the entertainment system and chairs and go with the bench seat. More seats and we would go buy a portable DVD set up for our son. Like I said we walked up to it on the lot and bought it is. I do like the captain’s chairs for access to the 3rd row you just walk around the seat instead of folding it down. :thumbsup:

The only bad thing with the Expedition is with the 3rd row seats up you only have about 12" - 14" give or take of room to carry stuff. That is why we end up with it out or folded up and leaned toward the middle seats. Other than that it is a great vehicle.

Any vehicle could have problems with maintenance that becomes a dealer customer service issue. I hope you can find a good dealer near you.

With a vehicle of this size do not get the 4.6 motor, you will want the bigger 5.4. Once you load up the tribe and all their stuff you will need all the horses you can get!

If you go Excursion route it might not make it into the garage, and if you are towing anything I think it is based on the F-350. They are a big beast to say the least. Sorry for the Ford rant but is what I know a little about. I might look at the Yukon, and compare it to the Expedition, but I am kind of a Ford guy for the last 20 years or so.

Good luck!!!
:driving:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
If you hold out until warmer weather and travel season gets here.Im sure you will have many to choose from.There predicting gas will hit $3.00 a gallon for awhile then settle back to around $2.25.The car lots should be filled with used ones to choose from.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
If gas goes to $3.00 everything will cost more from car and trucks to food and mail.
Jody

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Well the food might cost more.But the farmer will not see it.The only way a farmer gets a raise is to rent the neighbors farm out from under him.Meaning he get a raise only if he farms more.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Andy, if you do decide on a Ford, although you can negtoiate a cheaper price sometime on your own; you can use X-Plan pricing and automaticly get a big discount on price. On some popular models this may be to your advantage. You must belong or join an organization that offers X-Plan benefits such as Experimental Aircraft Association or Disabled American Veteran's Association to qualify. There are many other organizations that qualify. You register, get a username and pin # and they give you an X-Plan # and off you go to the dealer and identify yourself as an X-Plan buyer. I would try to negotiate the best price on my own first and then whip out the X-Plan stuff if I was getting the run around.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Through my company, we are partnered with GM and we are supposed to get any vehicle at dealer cost plus $600 for prep/delivery etc. Sounds like a great deal to me.

Andy

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
So all late model suburbans are a POS and will never leave the shop? I know several people that thats all they buy. Swear by them. I was looking at Suburbans at the Chevy dealer and talked to a couple peolpe trading in their old suburbans for a newer one. They loved them. Not a sinlge complaint.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Every product line of every manufacturer of every model, etc, etc, etc, can have lemon's. Look at the SUV line like you do with tractors. There are some you don't buy, but most of them you do. It comes down to what you like and then make sure you are not buying a lemon year.

My buddy had a 2 door Yukon that he swore by... not swore at. Then again, cars, trucks and even mowers are personal things, most people wouldn't tell you that there semi-new (or new) car/truck/tractor is a POS, it's one of those pride things. So when I told you that my Expy was awesome.... do you believe me LOL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts