1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else have Starter issues with Kohler 22hp CV22s engine???

Discussion in 'General Lawn Garden Tractor Forum' started by kingja68156, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    In this thread there has been some discussion on which kind of starters are available on the Kohler vert shaft engines. Looking through a cat last night I ran across these 2 engines. As can been seen, both have the starter with attached solenoid.

Attached Files:

2. kingja68156

kingja68156 New Member

Jun 5, 2011
    I logged into the Kohler Engines website and searched for the factory starter. The one they refrence is "NOT" with attached solenoid.

PBS Net-Compass

Attached Files:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    My last comment was in response to post #13 and a couple follow-ons. "Starter with solenoid is for horiz engines." I was just pointing out the fact this starter comes on several vert shaft engines as well. Nothing to do specifically with the starter your engine came with.

My suggestion to change starter types was just an alt approach, i.e. food for thought.

Think you still need to determine why with the original starter things work well for a long time, then starter started giving you problems then replacement starters also presented problems. You need to find out what has changed and address that issue.

Do hope you can determine real cause and get it corrected.

4. kingja68156

kingja68156 New Member

Jun 5, 2011
    So I got the new starter in today. I took the flywheel off cover off to make sure I have the correct spacing. I did have to shim it.....and thats where my issue begins.

I have shimmed it on both bolts (kick back when disengaging every time)

left bolt (Same thing)

and right bolt. (right bolt is closest to flywheel)(Same thing).

I have also put two shims on both bolts but that was too far out. (slipping)

So right now, I have two shims on the right bolt only. That seems to be the best of the worst....but here is the problem. I'm getting kick back when disengaging the starter once the engine starts. It doesn't happen every time now, but I'd like to get it perfect. If I leave it like this I'll be getting a new starter once a year.

I can't imagine cocking the starter more by putting more shims on the right bolt. Any advice????

I've checked the flywheel...there is no wobble or missing teeth.

5. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    What do you mean by "kick back"? Could your engine be a bit out of time (flywheel key partially sheared), causing issues when starting? Does that engine have the Smart Spark system on it? Those have been known to cause issues with ignition timing.

6. jhngardner367

jhngardner367 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    starter

My Apologies,Mickey,I stand corrected.As for the problem at hand,I have to agree with Country Boy.You say,now, that it's getting "kickback".Was it doing that,before,as well? As CB stated,that would indicate a different cause. A severe enough kickback COULD cause the pinion gear to be "trapped"by the ring gear,and rip it up!I just changed the starter on a CV491 kohler,as well as the battery.The owner bought a cheaper,less powerfull battery,and it didn't have the amperage to keep the cranking speed up,so it kicked back,and tore up the pinion gear.

7. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    We have a Craftsman GT5000 at work that we just traded in with a Kohler Command 25 engine on it (didn't have a chance to grab the spec number) that has the starter with the built in solenoid on it. Its a vertical shaft engine. Tractor is a 2004 or 2005 model.

8. kingja68156

kingja68156 New Member

Jun 5, 2011
    When I say kickback I mean, once the engine starts and the ring gear takes off, it's almost like the pinion gear doesn’t get out of the way fast enough and grinds the ring gear for a split second.

Sometimes it works great with no issues and other times I get "kickback"/grinding.

Sometimes when the starter goes to engage the ring gear they just seize together. I then have turn the key back and start again.

I’m just going to order a new factor Kohler starter. I have already ordered a new solenoid just in case that’s the issue. The battery is getting 12.4 volts so I don’t think that’s the issue.

9. jhngardner367

jhngardner367 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    Put a volt meter on the terminals of the battery,and try to roll the engine.as it rolls over,check the voltage.if it drops below 11.9v,the battery isn't strong enough.Most engines of 12 + hp,should have a high cca rating,or they just can't spin fast enough to kick out the pinion gear,when the engine starts.

10. kingja68156

kingja68156 New Member

Jun 5, 2011
    That makes sense. I'll test the battery today.

11. faairhope

faairhope New Member

Oct 8, 2011
    starter problems

I have a kohler courage 22 engine on my mower and the starter will not crank the engine. checked the siliond and the battery. Does this engine have a compression release or is the starter bad.

12. faairhope

faairhope New Member

Oct 8, 2011
    starter problems

I have problems with my kohler courage 22 starting. Does the engine have a compression release or is my starter bad?

13. Country Boy

Country Boy Bovi-Sapiens

Mar 18, 2010
    The starter could be bad, or it could be some other issue. Have you tried disconnecting any drive belts or shafts connected to the engine to see if that resolves the starting issue? Can you turn the engine over by hand or is it seized? Have you tried jumping from the + terminal on the battery to the terminal on the starter to bypass any wiring issues? Does the starter even engage, does it make an attempt to turn the engine over but seem weak, or does it just do nothing?