Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past snow storm, my choke cable froze up and the lever broke...
I disconnected it and manunally adjusted the choke... later that night the choke itself froze up on me...

i eventually went out with a hairdryer and warmed it up so i could manually adjust the choke and start my tractor...

Ive heard of putting a light bulb under the hood but am not sure if that is safe to leave unattended... Ive also seen motor oil heater dipsticks... but i do not know if that would prevent the choke and or cables from freezing...

Is there a better way?

FYI: the tractor would either be outside or in the unheated shed and it gets cold here in maine...

No electricity in the shed but i can run an extension cord if needed...

· Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
that block heater seems like just the thing... i was searching the web on engine heaters with no luck...

I tried heating the shed, it was 13 when i started and i put a little heater in there and it got up to a balmy 25 degrees.. not enough...

i think the block heater thing would work, all i would need to do would be run an extension out to the shed for 1/2 hour or so prior to using the tractor....

Thanks tis..

PS i found it at parts america for a little cheaper...

25 for the small one (I ordered it) 39 for the larger one...

http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts.asp?CategoryCode=3057B&SearchFor=Magnetic Block Heaters

· Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got the block heater in the mail Monday.. that should work fine... its a magnet that gets wicked hot... i want to find a good spot of the block where i can keep it and it wont heat anything up that it 'should not heat' - gas lines ect...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.