Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
]I have been a railroad fan for as many years as I can remember. I like the full size stuff, scale modeling, and am eaven thinking of building a 71/4 gauge ride on in my yard.

The real reason for this post. I live right next to the railroad tracks. So I get to watch trains anytime I want:) :) Well yesterday I was out bringing some wood into the house, an a train of auto racks goes by. On the front were 3 freshly shopped, or new BNSF engines. Now here on the east coast, I have seen some Sants Fe rolling stock, but NEVER an engine. I just thought that was real cool.[by now all you non RRers are saying "OK like who cares":D ] Just wish I had had my camra with me.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Now I am

I am a railroad fan as of about 3 months ago.My favorite railroad is CSX.They saw the wisdom of hiring my oldest son.He had to spend 6 weeks in Cinncinati,2 more weeks in Cleveland,and one year as an orange coat newbee.The amount of knowledge that those guys need to function on the job is staggering.So far he is delighted,overtime and base pay are great. My oldest will work overtime whenever he can ,just the way he is put together.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Now I am

Originally posted by slipshod
I am a railroad fan as of about 3 months ago.My favorite railroad is CSX.They saw the wisdom of hiring my oldest son.He had to spend 6 weeks in Cinncinati,2 more weeks in Cleveland,and one year as an orange coat newbee.The amount of knowledge that those guys need to function on the job is staggering.So far he is delighted,overtime and base pay are great. My oldest will work overtime whenever he can ,just the way he is put together.
Thats what I normaly see CSX. I am right on the main line from Albany NY, to Boston Ma. What does your son do for the RR?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you can see, I am pretty close. This is from my side garage door. You can see the RR grade .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
CSX

My Son is trained to do any job on the train.That is the way they do it,just in case.There are 17 CSX railyards in the city of Buffalo,I would have never guessed that.

·
674 Posts
I spent 15 years working for a company that manufactuerd specialty trackwork for all the major U.S. RR's and CN in canada. In those 15 years I saw 3 owners come and go and a bankruptcy come and go. It is heavy, tough, dirty, hard, dangerous work. I don't miss it one bit.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
]I have been a railroad fan for as many years as I can remember. I like the full size stuff, scale modeling, and am eaven thinking of building a 71/4 gauge ride on in my yard.

The real reason for this post. I live right next to the railroad tracks. So I get to watch trains anytime I want:) :) Well yesterday I was out bringing some wood into the house, an a train of auto racks goes by. On the front were 3 freshly shopped, or new BNSF engines. Now here on the east coast, I have seen some Sants Fe rolling stock, but NEVER an engine. I just thought that was real cool.[by now all you non RRers are saying "OK like who cares":D ] Just wish I had had my camra with me.
Here is there division map i dont know why they were in your neck of the woods.
Jody

BNSF

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Anyone know where I could get section of rail? About a one foot piece would be good? Get it when they are tearing out a line or something? Any ideas?

Andy

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Any railroad fans out here?

Originally posted by jodyand
Here is there division map i dont know why they were in your neck of the woods.
Jody

BNSF
Ya me eather. Thats why it was a treat. Wounder if they were coming from the shops.

·
674 Posts
Rail info:

On a section or rail you will see something like:

132RE 1977 /////

the 132 is the weight pre 3 feet of rail
1977 is the year it was made
the ///// is the month / would be jan. // feb /// mar. and so on.
The RE is the design of the rail. other types are AS, DUD

Sorry Andy, I could have gotten all you would have wanted 4 years ago.... I have seen some at flea markets.

Fun fact: The gage of US Rail Roads is 4Ft. 8-1/2 inches (Measurment between inside of rail heads)

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Is this on every section of rail made or just some per segment?
Like date nails for each railroad tie?

Andy

·
674 Posts
About every few feet, it is raised symbols not stamped and is called "branding" also it will say the foundry "Beth" for Bethlham Steel or carnige....

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Andy

What are you making with a one foot piece of rail,an anvil?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Originally posted by admin
Anyone know where I could get section of rail? About a one foot piece would be good? Get it when they are tearing out a line or something? Any ideas?

Andy
I will make a few calls tomorrow and see if i cant get you a piece Andy. I still have Friends in low places:smiles:
Jody

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
low places

I have met a lot of low placed people. Working a prison sure does expose a guy to the seamier side of the tracks.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Was just talking to a friend the other day about how we would hear the train everyday in our small towns. Not anymore. It's a shame we let our railroads go. Very efficient transport in many ways. It seems there are more 18 wheelers than cars on the interstates today.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Mow

The railroads are making a comeback. The Buffalo hub is now busier then it has been in years.After 9-11 I think we have to look at transportation of goods and people a little differently.It would be hard for a terrorist to steer a train into a building.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
Was just talking to a friend the other day about how we would hear the train everyday in our small towns. Not anymore. It's a shame we let our railroads go. Very efficient transport in many ways. It seems there are more 18 wheelers than cars on the interstates today.
It is nice to see the RR's getting busyer. The Railroads helped make this country great, It would be to bad to see them disapiar.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I don't see it

I don't think that the railroads are in danger of disapearing any time some.They got in trouble in the 70's and conrail came to be.Most are on solid ground.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Glad to here that, Slipshod. I'd like to ride a train, someday especially if it is a vintage steamer. I'd also like to see one of those huge steam locomotives run that hauled ore or timber around the mountains. Lots of reciprocating mass in those drive rod/wheel assemblies! Haven't been on a train since I was a kid.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts