Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Was having a little trouble with my windows 98SE, who doesn't. Anyway, when the laptop boots up and is fully showing the windows desktop the system seems to bog down, or stop responding to mouse clicks. To fix it I have been using "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" to remove a program called "Cmtwo". Once its deleted the machine and its Win 98SE work great.

My problem is that I would like to remove the "Cmtwo" permanently so I will not have to go through the process every time. Do you guys know a simple fix for this other than buying a new operating system or the like. I figure there must be a simple fix!

By the way, I've tried all the virus scanners available and Ad-Aware, Spybot to try to help with the problem, seems to be the same.

THANKS in advance for any advice you might have!!!

Kevin

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Type msconfig in the run box and go to start up , uncheck the program click close and reboot

·
Registered
664 Posts
You can install 'StartUpMonitor' to disable cmtwo (a wireless client manager) at startup. It's freeware & it's safer than using msconfig (for most non-power-users).

*edit*
It may be listed as '2wire' in the startup.

HTH,
Angel

·
Registered
674 Posts
Have you looked in the add/remove program file to see if it's in there? I like using this little program called winpatrol that lets you disable whatever start up programs you want, plus many other options like cookie management. Click on the download
winpatrol 8.1 free.

http://www.winpatrol.com/

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Cmtwo is a program that takes control and redirects your machine when on line to go to various sites that may be downloading crap to your machine or or adding other crap that makes it slow as well. The pause or delay your experienceing is the program loading what files it needs to run at your expense and time. If what Arch stated does not work do a regedit, in the run box and do a search for the name, and delete any instance of it in the registry.......I doubt if your gonna find anything in the win ini or sys ini files in win98, it may or may not be in your start program group.

When in the registery, make sure yu delete only what is tagged as the file name unless it is in a folder under that name then delete the entire thing. Just be carefull in the registery as one wrong move could give undesired results.....but with reasonable care using the find command in Regedit, you shul dbe able to remove all traces of it and its assocated dll's and other files.....

You can also check in the ADD/REMOVE section in Control Panel and see if by chance it is shown there as installed software....some of these mal type programs show up in th Add/Remove and if thats the case use the Add/Remove portion to remove the files.

I virtuallay eliminated all my mal ware and spyware problems when I switched to Mozilla.....

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you decide to go the regedit route...

Make sure to back-up your registry!

Otherwise you could suffer a critical system malf.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried the Add/Remove panel of the Control Panel and its not listed there. But when doing a search for the file Cmtwo, it shows its attached to my TwoWire program that I use for connecting to my DSL line. Would it then be safe to remove the Cmtwo file of the TwoWire Program?

Thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts
If worse comes to worse and you can't get rid of it then you will have to put the computer in safe mode and run spybot-search and destroy and your other spyware programs while in safe mode. That will get rid of it. I went thru this a while back and it drove me nuts till i got rid of the spyware. I second the Mozilla browser. I don't get spyware since i started using it as my browser. I only use I.E when the website won't work right with Mozilla, and that is rare.

http://www.mozilla.org/

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just used WinPatrol and it showed the Cmtwo.exe file. I selected to have it removed from the start up but not removed from the hard drive. Will now try a reboot to see how it works and wether or not it's still in the startup programs.

Tried the Mozilla FireFox browser, it works well. The only problem I have with it is I cannot find how to change the fonts on the web sites as they show up for easier reading.

·
Registered
664 Posts
To change the fonts in FireFox:
Click edit - click preferences - click the + to expand 'Appearance' tab - click on fonts. Then you can change the fonts to suit your preferences.

HTH!

Angel

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everybody on this one. It appears that winpatrol took care of the problem without upsetting the rest of the system.

Looks as though the Cmtwo file was a .exe file of the TwoWire system I use for the DSL (SBC). Although the Cmtwo.exe has been diabled the rest of the TwoWire program works fine. I think as someone said it was an add on to the program that install info you probably don't need anyway. Hard to believe there is a program written today that does not have some sort of spyware or the like attached to it. Sort of makes one sick of the thought.

THANKS Again!!! for the quick and helpful advice!!!

Kevin

·
Registered
674 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. You still ought to go with Mozilla though. It will keep a lot of spyware off your computer in the future.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
:ditto: what Durwood recommends.

I'm probably one of the few here that finds it ironic you have to install something (winpatrol/StartUpMonitor) to remove something!

Glad you got it figured out though. Lot's of knowledgeable members here. :)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
kevin-- why are you surprised ? everyone of these providers make scads of money selling access to you to all sorts of legitimate and less than scrupulous sites-- tracking is huge business - it is just like the most invasive mailing list ever devised -- we need our fabulous, common man pretectors [ combines congress] to attack this sort of spyware-- bigl22 --

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
It makes you really wonder how long Mozilla is going to continue before it too is swept up by the pursuit to make gobs of $$$$$$$$$$ as well, lots of folks putting a lot of faith into a product then over a period of time get taken advantage of unknowingly..........That is one principal reason I am not too keen on 9 out of 10 so called upgrades........if it works and does what you need why change it......ain't no telling what may be added in and yet undiscovered in new releases or upgrades.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wonder just how much money is made by one of those tracking programs. For the manufactures of major software it must be the best thing ever going to follow all there users moves. The marketing departments must be licking thier chops over the results.

Mozilla works well, I need to transfer over my favorites lists and get it up to speed. When on the road using dialup service it sure seems to load the web pages faster. Like Chip says, how long will it be before they mess it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts