Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am back taking my lessons, started yesterday with an introductory flight. Basically decided to start from scratch again since it has been over 10 years since my last lesson. We have a nifty airport here in Hammond (HDC) which was a WW2 training base. My trainer plane is a 1974 Piper Warrior (151 I believe) ---
I will take some pics today before I begin. Anyone have any experience with obtaining their private license or anything else flight related? I have always wanted to become a pilot and I might just have that chance someday. ;-)

Smiles,
Andy
radarsmile

·
Registered
674 Posts
I envy those who have their license, but i like my feet on the ground. Hope it will work out for you Andy ...then maybe you can give rides to all the members here. :D

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Durwood...Actually my father was a military pilot back in the day and I guess it just is kinda in my blood. I can tell you that growing up playing MS flight simulators, etc really do help. They definately prepare you for the expectations of flight --- just trying not to buy the farm in real life. ;)

I am very relaxed but extremely calculating and cautious. It is one expensive hobby --- but maybe I just might be able to swing it hopefully into completion one day. :)

Cheers.
Andy
:zoomin:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
How did your first flight lesson go Andy? Did you notice much rust in your skills since that last time you flew. I always got rusty if I went for any length of time without flying. It is a parishable skill that you have to stay up on top of. Although I was piloting helicopters witch don't actually fly...........they club the air into submission. :D ;) I think we have another Army aviator on the board here Andy. I sent you a PM about him. Did you get it?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
No, but I did save $125.00 on my insurance by switching to..............:furious:

I had at one time been taking lessons. I just up and decided I would rather keep both feet on the ground and let the flying I had to do in the USAF be enough. Up to this point I would jump at the chance to fly anywhere anytime in anything. I eventually got to the point I hated to fly in any aircraft no matter if it was a military or commercial plane I really got to hate flying. I stil love aircraft of all kinds, but anymore I'll keep my 2 feet on terra firma. I prefer to be able to pull over to the side of the road when the weather gets nasty or something goes wrong;)

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I might continue to stay with it and I might not. It is still fun and exciting --- but that might change... it is not really too practical. ;)

A little rusty yes..but not excessively so --- I felt good -- just needed some help with landing --- you know the small stuff. (haha)

:furious:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have some time, I need to start flying again. I mostly work on planes now.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow George , very impressive website. I tried to make it up to the tractor show at greenville a couple of weeks ago to meet you, but my oldest son and his wife went away for the weekend , so we watched the granddaughter and i didn't make it up. I see you lost a son in 2000. I'm very sorry about that ....That had to be tough.

Durwood

·
Registered
849 Posts
I used to fly U controls............does that count? I have one as a decoration hanging in my garage. it is a Nobler and years ago was one of the best stunt planes there was. I never flew this one though.
Rodster

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Originally posted by Durwood
Wow George , very impressive website. I tried to make it up to the tractor show at greenville a couple of weeks ago to meet you, but my oldest son and his wife went away for the weekend , so we watched the granddaughter and i didn't make it up. I see you lost a son in 2000. I'm very sorry about that ....That had to be tough.

Durwood
Thank you for the concern. Yes it was tough and is tough every day. David was my business partner and my best friend.

George

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
George, you have a great website! I wish I had your nack, imaginaiton, and patience for restoring, fabricating, and repairing. You have done some outstanding work with the tractors and the airplane restoration was amazing. I love the workshop! Elvira too!!! :D ;) Great family you have there. Your wife is a very talented lady.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Originally posted by farmallmaniac
wow! does that tiny engine in the pencap actually work!?
Ryan
Yes. The fun part... when I go to an engine show with it in my pocket I could claim it as an exhibit. At one time, I was planning to make a 1/2 scale model of it. My eyesight is no longer good enough to make the necessary small tools to make the valves.

The pen itself is an antique... a 1910 Parker.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the info and insight and kudos again to you George on a really nice site! I am thinking about transferring across the runway over to another instructor (ex-AF Colonel with tons of experience and VERY down to earth) --- His students simply RAVE about him and he is very experienced (taught over 600 students and only have 2 fail first checkride) and not in it just for his own hours and benefit. (plus he is local to airport as he lives just couple miles away and his prices are better!) Plus his average for pilots is 42 hours total versus national average of 55-60 per pilot. I want to give him a shot and see what happens. I will be going back to my first trainer plane the Cessna 150 and then the 172 Skyhawk after I get some more hours. The current flight school is newer but much more expensive and they push alot of their own "agendas and manuals" if you know what I mean.

Well, Tom (the older AF guy) told me --- "It is your $ after all, so you should be the one who decides where you spend it... not anyone else or any school" ---

Any comments?

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh yeah BTW, the old AF guy trained every single one of the "new school" pilots --- :furious:

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I took a ground school class through a local "adult education" program about 15 years ago. Cost less than $100 for 20 nights at 3 hours each. It was taught by a certified instructor who was extremely good and very thorough. I then went to one of my local airports and started flying. My first instructor was an attractive young lady who was also an excellent teacher, but she got married and was replaced by a Tom Cruise wannabe, complete with flying tiger jacket. I got 3 hours of flying time when the crap hit the economic fan and I ran out of money. And that is where my pilot training sits today.

George,
What a great web site you have! And I really appreciate your talent in building engines. Some nice airplanes have been part of your collection as well.

Andy,
At what it costs for lessons ($100 per hour in my area) please feel free to get the best instruction you can. Your plan to switch sounds good to me. I had one instructor have me practice turns so he could check out the babes sunning themselves by the pool. I didn't fly with him any more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts