Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things have been pretty slow over here in Gravely land.

Anyone have, or have you had a Gravely. If so , what did you have for attachments.

As for me, I have two old L's. A 1944, and a early 60's. Bolth have the 30" mower deck.

Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by MowHoward2210
I hear they don't make the old Gravely 2 wheel tractors anymore.

Were the newer ones as rugged as the old ones like you have, Paul?
The newer two wheelers? Oh you, they were tanks. Still, High quality, but more feachers. LOTS more money though.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Ingersoll444

Do you have any pics of your Gravely L's?
I just posted a few in the "shade tree" fourm under the "how old is old" topic. I will try to get some new ones this weekend. Those were from when I got them.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Thanks, I missed that thread somehow. Might look into buying an old one sometime. Are the attachments hard to find for the older models, or did they stay universal all those years?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I missed that thread somehow. Might look into buying an old one sometime. Are the attachments hard to find for the older models, or did they stay universal all those years?
Prettymuch universal. They did make some changes in, I think, the early 80's. There were also adapters to mak the newer,80's plus] fit the older tractors.

As for avalablity? Great. Lot's of stuff out there.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Hello to all in Gravely Land

My brother bought a Gravely 4 wheel riding tractor about 5 years
ago at a open house sale. The guy who sold it said he was the original
owner and purchased it in the 70’s. The only attachment he had for it
was the deck, but it was crushed when run over by a truck delivering
gravel to this guy’s house. This happened about 5 years before the sale
and the tractor just sat in his shed.

Well my brother wound up buying it with no attachments, took it home
and called me. We had it running by the end of the day and he put it
away in his shed where it has sat for the last 5 years.

So this poor thing has been laying around for 10 years without a mission.
It’s red and if I recall it is a model 812 or 816 with a 2 cyl Onan, hydraulic
lift and gear trans.

I have been thinking about getting it going again, but I understand that
Gravely no longer makes garden tractors. I could probably get parts for
the Onan, but it’s the rest of the tractor that worries me.

Can you still get parts for these things ?

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOTS of parts out there. You can get just about everything for it. Used parts and attachments come up all the time, and there are a few real good online dealers for parts. Want a great tractor? Grab it!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
For parts for the Gravely I would contact Ariens Corp. Even though they do not make the tractor anymore most of these big companies have warehouse stock piles of part's. I know I was able to get IH made parts from MTD for MY Cub Cadet 106. So I bet Ariens Corp has the parts you need.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ingersoll444 and Sergeant….

Thanks for the feedback guys :cheers:

Would you be able to post any sites that I could use?
I have been looking around but all of the Gravely sites I have found
seem to focus strictly on the 2 wheelers.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
aegt5000
See if there are any gravely clubs on yahoo and maybe also a gravely classified. Usually club members will give an honest description and a fair price. Also check ebay but if you can find the seller at one the clubs you might be more comfortable bidding. I've done this for some bolens parts and found it to be an easier way. Decks should be easy to find used, just ask the seller any questions you can think of and try to get something complete and if they have gear boxes on the deck ask about the condition of that also.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Richard's

I have used Richards and have had good service.

Also no web site here, but another place that has real nice people is Antram enterprises. Real nice people and they have a kick A$$ catalog. No web, but here is there number, and email

1800-324-6842 email [email protected]

for info, and good place to staer is here......gravely info

Good luck, and happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
My friend has an old Gravely Super 8 convertible. It does run but needs some work. He has just about all the attachments that were ever made for it as well. He has a commercial 40" mower for it which is kind of hard to find one anymore. The rotary plow, sulky, tiller and 30 inch deck and some other items which I forget off the top of my head........And in case your interested, he wants it all gone for $300 for everything he has . Only problem is he is not interested in shipping as it would involve having to carry the items to a trucking company and palletizing everything down, but if your in the area and looking for a heap of Gravely items and a tractor the price is hard top beat. Heck he has over $200 in the commercial mower deck alone in bearings and belts and other assorted parts. The motor had what was supposedly a rebored / reworked cylinder installed on it, but it still smokes a bit during use. I had thought about buying it and stripping it all and ebaying it piece meal, and from the prices the used stuff brings, I could make a lot of money off it, for what would be invested. The tractors gearbox is in excellent shape. It has that oval shaped cylinder head engine in it.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW CM. wish I was closer!!!!!! REAL good price for that stuff. So how far IS alabama from NY?:D :D

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I'd say about 12 to 14 hundred miles or so.

You mentioned Richards as being reliable for parts. IIRC during ther time that I had my friends Gravely in my shop working on it, IIRC it was Richards in West Virginia that he purchased a supposedly good serviceable cylinder from. It was supposedly bored out to .010" over, and have new guides etc in it. He ordered it and the piston and rings to fit this freshly redone cylinder. From the start it smoked really bad and no amount of running for break in made any difference on oil consumption. It would literally suck a crankcase of oil out in about 10 minutes flat. I pulled the cylinder off and gave it a good going over. The darn cylinder was bored on a taper, so much that when the piston was in the downside of the stroke, the inner edges of the piston rings would be visible. I called Richards up, and they denied that they would send out a cylinder such as that. We then took the old cylinder and had it bored to fit the new piston, and it worked pretty fair, but it really should have been bored even larger in diameter, as it did not quite clean up enough, but at least now it would run and not suck out oil in a matter of minutes.

My friend did not want to fool around with this Gravely anyhow, and only wanted to get it running so he could sell it. It was given to him as payment for some welding he did for a fellow. He spent all weekend welding various items around his farm, and when it came time to get paid the fellow simply said he never paid for labor in cash and only bartered etc for it. So my friend left with the Gravely and all its accessories for his days wages...........He was only a yongin at the time right out of trade school. The Gravely and accessories were just setting in the yard for years until he finally moved them from his fathers house after his father died, and decided he would try it for his grass cutting jobs around his new house, which he soon found out a small cheap push type mower was a lot quicker. Now his wife wants it all gone and so does he.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow never heard a problem with Richards before, but I guess any shop has had there bad times.

and only 1400 miles? Hey thats not bad, about 3-4 hours??:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by sixchows
Hey Paul
Two words; ROAD TRIP!!!!!
LOL Not sure the wife would think that way.:D

No realy some of our best weekends away have beed on road trips to get parts. Went to Toronto to get a QP for my Mustang, and spent the night in Niagria falls. Then picked up a parts car in Elmira NY, spent the night in Corning, and went to the glass works. The best though? Went to Maryland to pick up a bunch of stuff. Hood, fender, trunk lid etc. Drove down one morning, got a hotel in Herrisburg Pa. Drove to grab the parts, then the next morning went to Hershy park. Had an AWSOME time! Don;t know if I could talk her into a trip THAT far for tractor parts though:D

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by aegt5000
Hello to all in Gravely Land

My brother bought a Gravely 4 wheel riding tractor about 5 years
ago at a open house sale. The guy who sold it said he was the original
owner and purchased it in the 70’s. The only attachment he had for it
was the deck, but it was crushed when run over by a truck delivering
gravel to this guy’s house. This happened about 5 years before the sale
and the tractor just sat in his shed.

Well my brother wound up buying it with no attachments, took it home
and called me. We had it running by the end of the day and he put it
away in his shed where it has sat for the last 5 years.

So this poor thing has been laying around for 10 years without a mission.
It’s red and if I recall it is a model 812 or 816 with a 2 cyl Onan, hydraulic
lift and gear trans.

I have been thinking about getting it going again, but I understand that
Gravely no longer makes garden tractors. I could probably get parts for
the Onan, but it’s the rest of the tractor that worries me.

Can you still get parts for these things ?
aegt5000, any thing come of that old Gravely rider? Still sitting in a shed, or doing some hard work for some lucky owner?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts