Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought a mid ‘80s ford 1700 a while back. It’s been a great little workhorse, but I have a recurring issue. Like many of these, the bucket and 3 point hitch were slow and jerky. Drained the tranny, cleaned filter, new fluid. Worked perfect...for about a week or two. Repeated maintenance, again went back to perfect operation, but a couple weeks later, slow and jerky again. I’ve now done this routine 4 times! Filter looks clean, fluid looks ok. Can’t find anywhere air is getting in around the banjo fittings or anywhere! I know hydraulic issues on these have been beat to death, but I couldn’t find this specific issue with a search. I’m kind of out of my depth here, not sure what’s going on? I’ve used a fluid that lists Ford 134 replacement each time, and even a couple of different brands! Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Howdy Cpcovey, welcome to the forum.

Have you replaced all the o-ring seals in the pump suction line?

https://www.messicks.com/nh/68258?sectionId=9320&diagramId=68258_666017

The pump suction line is item #14 on the diagram. There are 4ea. item #12 o-rings + one item #8 o-ring in this line + one gasket item #16. Can you see these items in the suction line?

It could be that your pump is also sucking air thru a leaking seal internally?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having a similar issue. Checked the pump calibration with a 0-5000 psi guage at the auxiliary service port and it should be 2133psi but it is at 400-500psi. Talked with my local FNH service tech and he said it could be the pump itself. Not being able to keep the proper pressure for operation. You might want to look at that. The calibration procedure is on page 12 of part 6 hydraulics - Relief Valve Calibration of the Ford 1300, 1500, 1700, 1900 tractors Service Manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts