Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.....was at my JD dealer again yesterday picking up the second B&S 17hp engine (another story) and asked if they had anything interesting in the "bone yard". Just so happens they had a Scotts 2048 tractor in great shape but had a bad engine. 20hp B&S, 48" deck, hydro with twin pedals for FWD/REV, cruise control AND the 48" power bagger!

Just so happens one of the free engines I got is an almost new 20hp B&S Intek in perfect running order (according to service). MY oh MY!

The tractor otherwise looks in great shape, good tires, no metal damage. It looks and feels BIG, at least compared to my 170 and LT1500, almost GT size.

I have to have them store it for a while until I get more "Honey Do's" done before I have it delivered, but it is "Sold" with my name on it. Storage is no problem. The power bagger should also be good for leaves this Fall.

Anyone have any experience/comments about this Scotts tractor?

Greg

BTW...cost me $100...delivered.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Sounds like you got one heck of a great deal. :thumbsup: Far as I know, the Scotts tractors were pretty much the same as the Deere Sabre line.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Man frown why cant i have a dealer like that around here:cry: Congrats on another great deal:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Yeah depending on the year it is the same as the L-120. These are great machines Greg. I know as I have the L-120 and it is unstoppable. I had really great luck on my with a 126 hours hours of use since last year. It is a LAWN TRACTOR not a GT so otherwise you will love the thing once you get the B/S 20 you got a while back. Once you get the thing put together go to the JD website and download the owners manual for the L-series lawn tractor (thye used the same manual except the pictures were changed for the JD nameplate instead of the Scott's name.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Greg
Are you sure the dealer knows about these "deals". I'm starting to think you're trading raw meat for tractors with the gaurd dogs at about 3am!:lmao: :lmao:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Originally posted by Greg
Michael,

Thanks for the info. When I get the serial # I can go to: http://www.deere.com/en_US/scotts/serv_operators_manuals.html and get the actual Scotts manual. Does the 20hp give you enough "Umph" to power that 48" deck well? The decks I have now are only 38" and 42". I hope the power bagger is going to work well.

You've got mail!

Greg
YES THE 20HP HAS MORE THEN ENOUGH UMPH, sorry for yelling but that engine will power thru wet 8" Western Washington grass and rarely hit the governor.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Michael,

Glad to hear it. This is going to be weird...I have the manual 5 speed 170, the hydro fender control Craftsman and now the twin foot control. I better get a front bumper!:lmao:

This will also be my first twin....Hopefully it will be pretty quiet.

Greg

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I do not know how quiet or nosiey the L-120 is with the 20 HP engine is has I have always worn earmuffs to protect my hearing, I have a tube in my left ear and everything is loud to me. BTW the front bumper for a L-120 will fit that SCotts and only cost $39.00NANA NANA NANA. I did receive my mail and you have some mail coming soon. I will drop it off on Monday so it should get to you on Wednesday to Saturday next week.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Here's some pictures Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
And another

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by sixchows
Greg
Are you sure the dealer knows about these "deals". I'm starting to think you're trading raw meat for tractors with the gaurd dogs at about 3am!:lmao: :lmao:
I'm with sixchows, pot of coffee, $100.00 and sold! :lmao: I think your dealer drives an unmarked semi and comes to your house once a month. The bonyard picture was actually your backyard. :furious:

Mark

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeeeeeze guys, you're tough.

No guard dogs...that I know of. Bone yard has moved to the side of the store with just a cable barrier to keep the rif raf out.

Let's see...pot of coffee, BBQ party at the end of Summer, jar of pickles in their Xmas stocking.....and $100....SOLD!
:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

They also have a Sabre, 16hp B&S, 42" deck, hydro, standard bagger with a busted engine. Rest of the tractor is like new. One of the 17hp B&Ss I got for free would work, I'm sure, but I would have to invest in a decompression valve spring to get it running!

However, I would be pulling guard dog duty if I got it now, though. Too many new toys....too soon. Dang! Maybe it will sit there for a while. Oh...that's $100 too.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Greg

·
Registered
35 Posts
That sounds like a great deal. Our local JD dealer also has Sabres in the back from trade-ins. I have a 10 year old Sabre 16/46. Original blades, working headlights, tires. It is showing it's age with sloppy steering that I have yet figured out. These are goor tractors and the cut is better than the L and G series mowers in our area. A warning is that these are sort of cheaply made and taking things apart for repair does not mean that they will go back together easily, might be trips to the dealer or hardware store to replace hardware that might not be worth putting back on.

Remember that these are intro Deeres (Home Deeres) and there is a lot of refinement missing. They were meant to give the owner a tast of greene (sic) and thus make you want to upgrade with the next purchase. Problem is that they last too long! Grease everything you can get to and spray lubricant on those areas where there are no zercs. Might be a good idea to let the bolts on the mower deck belt shrouds know who is boss while you are replacing the engine, they are cheap bolts and you might have to replace some.

Good luck,
Bill

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Greg, I was rereading the orginal post when I noticed you said it has a power flow bagger. Are you sure it has a powerflow? I have the bagger for my tractor and I use it once in a while mainly in the fall for leave pickup. My bagger is not powerflow and it seems to really do a great job as long as the grass is dry. I do not think JD made a power flow for the Scott series but I could easily be wrong as they changed the deck design when they went to L-series. The basic machine was a new design with the Scott's 2048 and then JD just changed the paint for the L-series.

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Michael,

Yep, it does have the power bagger. Here's the link for the manual. Check out the second one from the bottom. It fits both 48" and 54" decks.

Without the power bagger, I would have tried to "grind" them down to about $50 or so, delivered! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Greg

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Other possibility... you're such a PITA that they just give you anything you want to go away!:furious: :furious: :furious:

Not trying to pick on you Greg, just trying to figure out how to do the same!:lmao: :lmao:

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6 chows,

You could be right!!

Also mow the lawn, plant garlic in the garden, haul wood, and don't wash your hands or face. Not taking a bath for a week before also helps. When your dog won't come to you, even with a big steak in hand.....time to head off to the dealer!!

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Greg
6 chows,

You could be right!!

Also mow the lawn, plant garlic in the garden, haul wood, and don't wash your hands or face. Not taking a bath for a week before also helps. When your dog won't come to you, even with a big steak in hand.....time to head off to the dealer!!

Greg
Ah hah! The old poor guy down on his luck routine. Just have to keep the BMW parked around the corner. :lmao:

Mark

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Oh no, Here comes Greg again, psst, DO ANYTHING TO GET HIM OUTTA HERE, HE DRIVES THE CUSTOMERS AWAY. Or is it his handy way he gets the junk without us paying to have it hauled away. :D :D :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts