Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Andy
You have a great site here with all the bells and whistles.
You are fast to help us also. I know a site like this cost some money to run. Where is the money going to come from to keep it going? If I am out of line asking this no need to answer.
Rod

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
My response...

Thanks for asking! :D

Rodster, you will learn quickly -- I am thick-skinned and willing to talk about anything. I have no secrets, what you see it what you get. This is your site as much as it is "mine" --- So, let's talk about the costs etc.

It costs a tremendous amount of $ to run & do it all for free, but I have decided to bite the bullet and make this happen for the community. It all started with tractorforum.com as an exclusive Ford N-series board where I hosted TONS of storage, pics and more for free for hundreds and hundreds mostly ytmag users. I had photo galleries, custom guides, FAQs, etc. Then I kept getting run into the ground, abused and assaulted on that board, so I left and then finally decided to close the board and its free memberships.

Letting the board go idle for a few months, I got an idea to launch a new forum site with more features, layouts, advantages and MUCH different mentality than the others and wanted to see if it would fly or fail. I am still banking on the flying at this point. We have such fabulous moderators and members --- good friends is how I see them all.

Storage space is not a consideration here as I am not hosting TONS of pictures etc as I did before, but I do have massive storage (RAID) arrays and fiber connectivity (multi-tiered, multi-homing BGP partnerships) with Level 3, Broadwing, & QWEST at this point. We use all Cisco equipment (as I am Sr. Cisco engineer) and have redundant power. The hosting, backbone, server/switching/routing equipment costs alone would pay for a few new tractors with all attachments ---- and maybe the pretty fashion model at the showroom. (really - I am not kidding) ;)

I made a promise to myself and to the tf.com community that I would make this happen and I will state this simple fact again - this forum will be here for as long as there is a pressing need and desire for it. I have launched many successful sites in the past and I have no doubt that this will be the greatest and most successful tractor/LT/GT/etc site in the world.

Maybe down the road, some partnerships, sponsors, and/or exclusive memberships may be a realistic way to make this work on the fudiciary side of the business, but for now it is simply about having fun and making it a great site. I can only hope that we are able to help each other realize this vision and dream.

Isn't it nice to know that there are still some honestly good and wholesome challenges left in the world? Have fun! :)

I hope this helps.
Andy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well said Andy! I share your views and admire your enthusiasm & devotion. :eek:

Let us know when it’s time to “belly up to the bar.” Count me in! Tee shirts and bumper stickers are always a nice incentive for those who wish to contribute….

Keep up the good work! :)

Jay

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
hear hear

Good post Andy and if their comes a time you start taking money for this site im in too.:D
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the support... Yeah we could have a t-shirt with the logo and the 25 most active posters with a little scuffle on the back of the shirt between jodyand and TG... now, that would be some entertainment!!!! HAHAHAH :)

The top 25 could get extra 10% off --- haha ;)

Moderators --- 1/2 price? :)

I know it is early in the game, but if anyone has any experience with decals, stickers, t-shirts or design prowess, then let me know --- We might be able to make this happen!

Also, let me know if there are any really BIG TRACTOR SHOWS, maybe we can sponsor something and get our tractorforum.com name out there for more people to see. Any ideas?

Thanks again, guys. :D
Andy

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
1,000 bumper stickers will run you about $400 (excluding set up charges)

There are several places that do that.

tee-shirts run around $5.00 each depending on what you want to do.. again... excluding setup charges.

I have helped do these types of things in the past for a previous company.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
sounds good

Sounds good to me i can always use a new t- shirt i just love this place havent had this much fun in a long time.;) :D
Jody

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Thanks tisenberg...

How much are the setup charges generally speaking --- if we wanted to just do something like the board logo etc? Any ideas?
I am pretty well-versed in graphics and photoshop etc. I of course would need to find out what the exact demand for the items would be before purchase, but it is something to consider.

I think those cool magnetic decals (you could put em on your TRACTORS!!!) like the yellow-ribbon "Support our Troops" ones would be really nice.... Hey, Bob I like that tractorforum.com magnetic decal on your "insert tractor, metal plate in your head, disc, toaster, refrigerator, Coors light Party Ball, whatever"

How do I get one?

haha. ;)

Think about the possibilities!
Andy

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Haven't used them before..

http://www.showyourlogo.com/

The costs are all over the board. Photo replication is usually the most. Silk screening costs are based on the number of colors. Embroder again jacks the costs up. For low volumes, they may charge you $25.00 or $100.00. If you are getting a large amount, sometimes they wave the setup fee's. Sometimes the setup charges are different depending on what you are logo'ing. For instance, a tee-shirt setup is generally less than say... a golf club.

Hit them up and use the tractorforum.com logo at the top of the page as a smaple quote request.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Wow --- good idea! :)

Never thought of that. :)

See, that is why I keep you guys around here. Getting all of the quotes now --- about 12 items..

Thanks tisenberg for the link.

Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts