Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i dont usually post e-mails....

but this one was kind of funny/true and sad...

of course I understand that we live in a global economy nowadays.. but we've (in Maine) lost tons of manufacturing jobs overseas in the past few years, as have most states... you've got to wonder when it will begin to effect us economically...

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I was listening to NPR on the way home last night and one of the pres hopefuls was talking about raising the minimum wage. I know it might be bad to not want people to make more money but what happens when you raise the minimum wage?

To me prices of the goods and services will be passed on to the consumer. I am not an econ major but it sound to like it will be a wash in the end and more things will be made overseas with their cheaper labor and manufacturing costs.

I think even John Deere was talking about this. I think they were going to move the folks from one factory to another and use early retirement type things to lure folks to move along so they could close up the factory and use overseas resources.

Like you said global economy!:truth:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a shame.. we want stuff cheap.. but we want big money to make the stuff..

thats why dexter shoes (used to be huge in maine) now no longer have any locally made shoes all imported..

Or ll Beans.. look through their catalog.. its almost all imported..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts