1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread, If you ever have questions please feel free to contact me, My username is Austin.
    Dismiss Notice

Allis Chalmers 5040 Injection Pump

Discussion in 'Repair & Technical Discussion' started by DragonflyGrit, Jul 24, 2017.

1. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I have an Allis Chalmers 5040(diesel) that keeps shutting off after 30 minutes of running. If it were the injector pump wouldn't it just quit running altogether and not crank up at all? To date, I have replaced the fuel pump, filters, and hoses.
    Thank you for any help and or suggestions.
    DragonflyGrit

2. BigT

BigT Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Howdy DragonflyGrit, welcome to the tractor forum.

Please wait for the pumpguy to show up. He is an expert on injection pumps and systems. In the meantime, below is my two cents FWIW.

IMO, your problem is not with the injection pump. You have an obstruction somewhere in your fuel system. It may be as simple as a plugged vent in the fuel tank cap. Loosen the cap and see if it runs OK.

It may also be a plugged fuel return line from the injectors back to the fuel tank.

Blow the lines out with air. Remove the fuel tank cap before blowing into the tank to avoid rupturing the tank. Do not blow into the injection pump.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017

3. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Thank you BigT for the warm welcome and I will try your suggestions. It will probably be tomorrow before I get the chance but will let you know how it goes.
    DragonflyGrit

4. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Active Member

Jan 25, 2015
    YUP.. floaters in the tank or clogged vent in the cap.. BIG T was paying attention in class.. Good call BT & thanks for the plug..
    The old 5040's didn't have "safety switches" like we have NOW..
    IT MIGHT have a filter screen in the shut-off valve at the bottom of the tank, I honestly don't know.. an air hoes & a couple of wrenches should get ya going..

5. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Thank y'all very much for trying. My father passed away and we are moving all at the same time so I will have to put this on the back burner for a while. I appreciate y'alls help and will let you know what happens when I can start working on it again.

6. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I'm back and have had time to do some motor work where I'm at so far: It's getting fuel to the injector pump but it's not going any further than that. It's not injecting :(

7. thepumpguysc

Jan 25, 2015
    Well that sux.. the only thing you can do is remove the top cover on the pump & see if the metering valve is stuck.. Just google> CAV top cover leak.. lots of videos on it..
    Its easier than writing out the instructions..
    IF the MV is free, you have stuck pumping plungers inside the pump.. not awhole lot YOU can do, other than tear it down & clean it up.. BUT I DONT SUGGEST IT..
    I'm in South Carolina & rebuild them for a living & moonlite on the web to help forks out.. IF you like, send me the pump & we'll work something out.. My email is> thepumpguysc at aol dot com

DragonflyGrit likes this.
  8. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Okay, I found the problem, the shut-off bar is broke. Is there any way to get just the bar without having to buy the whole injector pump and if so where?

9. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Ty for your help. The shut-off bar is broke and I'm trying to find one without having to buy an injector pump.
    DragonFlyGrit

10. thepumpguysc

Jan 25, 2015
    Sure.. I'll send you one.. send me your mailing address at MY address..
    Just put> at a o l dot com after my screen name..
    IT IS a CAV DPA pump, right?? & you took the top cover off to find it..?

11. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Bought a new injector pump and that didn't fix my problem, back to the drawing board :(

12. thepumpguysc

Jan 25, 2015
    The last update we got was, fuel TO the inj. pump, none out, broken shut-off bar..
    IF you got A NEW PUMP.. there shouldn't be a problem getting fuel out, unless the guts are stuck.?? That happens sometimes if they've been sitting on the shelf for awhile.

DragonflyGrit likes this.
  13. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Okay, I have my tractor running without it cutting off, but my injector pump is pumping to much fuel. How do I turn it down?

14. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    TY for your help. The new pump is pumping to much fuel, how do I turn it down?

15. thepumpguysc

Jan 25, 2015
    you NEVER told us what pump you have.. How about some pump #'s..

16. DragonflyGrit

DragonflyGrit New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I'm sorry. My pump number is: CAV3832F051-U445. For those who may be having the same problem, a rusty gas tank filling the screen at the bottom is what caused my problem.