Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by balmoralboy
that sickle mower is a wicked looking thing. How does it work?
The teeth slide back and forth like a big hedge trimmer, and the arm can be lowered or raised to cut an area along side the tractor, like the bank or down in a ditch along a path or road. They work well on slopes where it would be too steep to drive the tractor with a mid-mount mower.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by bontai Joe
The teeth slide back and forth like a big hedge trimmer, and the arm can be lowered or raised to cut an area along side the tractor, like the bank or down in a ditch along a path or road. They work well on slopes where it would be too steep to drive the tractor with a mid-mount mower.
That makes sense, but what's with the sickle mounted on the end? It can't be moving fast enough to do anything?

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It took me a while to realize what you were referring to, That thing on the end I think acts more as a guide to allign the cut stuff as it falls down , more than anything else. I'm sure it does not do any cutting on it's own.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by bontai Joe
It took me a while to realize what you were referring to, That thing on the end I think acts more as a guide to allign the cut stuff as it falls down , more than anything else. I'm sure it does not do any cutting on it's own.
Thanks Joe! Where it's called a sickle bar, I wondered!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts