1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Featured AFTER MARKET FENDERS

Discussion in 'Ford / New Holland' started by Graysonr, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Graysonr

Graysonr Registered User Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Does anyone have experience purchasing aftermarket or salvaging sheet metal for older tractors? Does anyone sell truly faithful reproductions? Original style brackets, same heavy gauge skins, etc. I have what are probably the best OEM fenders for a 68 Ford 2000 available in my state but they are 50 years old. While this is a "working" tractor, I am trying to eradicate the abuse levied by the original owner, who was apparently a heavy drinker.

The right side fender is only suffering from age with rust running out from between fender skin and the bracket. Paint shop says that once started, this will continue regardless of what is done to the visible areas of the fender assembly.

My left side fender is in tougher shape due to a previous owner being careless with operating the tractor at some point. The fender is actually bent forward and inward at the rear as well as the rear curve being misshapen as well as the edge wrap being shoddily repaired. My intention is to get the tool box sand blasted to place on a new fender and reconstruct the tubing to carry the electric wire for the fender mounted warning light (already restored).

Any advice is appreciated.

2. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy Graysonr,

The fenders on my 3600 were rusting through where the brackets were spot welded to the skin. There is no paint between the bracket and skin, so it is prone to rust. I drilled out the spot welds on the brackets, cleaned & painted the brackets, and bolted new skins on them. Used 1/4" stainless steel bolts. Worked well, but the skins are rusting 10+ years later, especially the right fender, where my sweaty arm rests on it. Rust never sleeps.

Thomas, Graysonr and Tractor Beam like this.

3. Tractor Beam

Tractor Beam ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIELS Staff Member

That's the rumor! Couldn't you put some neoprene between the bracket and the skin to prevent moisture entry? This of course after yet another reset of new skin and all! (laughing)

Graysonr likes this.
  4. Ultradog

Ultradog Active Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I buy nearly all of my parts from yesterdays tractors. Have purchased 3 sets of 3000 style fenders from them over the years. They are probably Tisco products. They are good, heavy fenders and are pretty much identical with OEM.
    You can buy just the skins and bolt them to your brackets or buy them complete with brackets. I bought the complete ones twice as there's no monkeying around with brackets. The last set I bought the skins and bolted them to my 4400 brackets because the spacing where they bolt to the axles is wider.

Graysonr and sixbales like this.
  5. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    Thank you sixbales, tractor beam, and Ultradog. Your advice based on experience is invaluable. Seems no one sells just the brackets, so perhaps the best long term solution is to remove the skins from a pair of OEM fenders, sand blast and paint the brackets, and then bolt on new, painted skins.

6. Tractor Beam

I really hate sandblasting steel if you can help it, because the surface pitting just predisposes the metal to rust in and of itself, but if you already have rust to begin with, then I'd blast the brackets only where there is the rust, then have someone who does bedliner, coat them. I did turboliner for a time, and those products are insanely tough! Maybe even have the spot that rusts through on the skins bedlinered then paint, in addition to the neoprene, and you should be fine forever!

Graysonr likes this.
  7. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    Yes tractor beam, I agree on the durability of the spray on bed liner. I had this put on a pickup years ago and never had a scratch in it or rust under it. Bought an '84 Mercury that had a similar coating factory applied up to the first contour line on doors, fenders, and rockers. Looked new at 12 years of age. Had not thought of putting it on the tractor, but would be an ideal coating for the inside of the fender brackets.....on the bottoms that sit on the axle as well for that matter.

8. Tractor Beam

Yup! Just have it applied to those areas to hold the cost down, then paint the rest yourself. If you do have someone apply the bedliner product, just have them shoot it smooth without the pebble finish. I accomplished the pebble finish by pointing the gun up toward the ceiling and tapping the trigger so that the mist fell on the coat and set. If you skip the pebble finish and go smooth, it'll be easier to paint over and blend in to your regular paint job.

Graysonr likes this.
  9. deerhide

deerhide Retired Canadian

I used shiny black, rattle can stone guard on the inside of the fenders and under the hood of every new MF we sold back in the 70's-80's.

Tractor Beam and Graysonr like this.
  10. Tractor Beam

Can you use flex conduit? I'm speaking of the water tight sort. I assume this is for the lights?

11. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    Ended up returning these fenders.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    FredM and Tractor Beam like this.
  12. sixbales

sixbales Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Howdy Grayson,

I think that shimming the fenders would be the way to go. Maybe use epoxy on the shims to ensure they don't move once you've got them the way you want them.

13. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    Ended up returning these fenders

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    FredM likes this.
  14. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    Thanks sixbales and tractorbeam for your inputs. I thought the leaning fender situation over through the evening and when I woke this morning, I realized I'd made the decision to not continue "jury rigging" the RAParts fenders. Shimming the inside edge of the fender bracket properly would have required another tapered shim under the bolt heads as well. Real machine shop work......enough is enough.
    Two weeks to get 2 non dented fenders here, a week for painting and curing time for the painting, cutting a slot in the fender bracket for the lighting conduit....I set up the return of the fenders through Amazon this morning and then went to the New Holland parts counter and ordered a pair from them.
    Lesson learned. At first sight of the new fenders, I will measure the bolt hole pattern and immediately upon returning home with them, do a test fitting on the tractor before sending them out for paint.

15. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    New fenders "in the mail" due by Friday. Will measure 4 3/4" bolt hole pattern upon arrival. Will test fit to tractor. Dealer will take them back if they don't stand up straight. Defective fenders "in the mail" to the original supplier.

16. Ultradog

Ultradog Active Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I'l mention them again cause I really like the site and have ordered thousands of $ worth of parts from them and never had a problem. Yesterdaystractors.com
    As to the spacing on the bolt holes somehow you got fenders with brackets for a 4000 style tractor. Those have wider spacing for the wider axles.
    About a year ago I traded for a very nice set of British style fenders for my 3000. They are different than the US style. The Brits used a wider step plate and the fenders bolt to them.
    I had been running N Series fenders on it for about 10 years before that.

Attached Files:

sixbales likes this.
  17. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    Thanks Ultradog. NH dealer had his supplier measure bolt holes in the ones he ordered (4 3/4" ctc) and has agreed to let me mount them on the tractor to ensure correct vertical positioning. If all is not correct he will let me return them....no charge. I never thought this would be this hard.....apparently the word "fits" has a different meaning to my first supplier. Fenders from the NH dealer should be here today or Friday, so I'll know soon. I haven't disregarded what you have advised, and the English style is of some interest to me also.

18. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    BTW Ultradog, any thoughts on what the color of the tool box should be?

19. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    Thanks to all who offered advice.Fender update.....2 piece shipment and 1 piece got left behind at the transfer point onto the FEDEX delivery van. However, 1st fender came and fits bolt pattern on my 2000, sits vertical, bracket material is heavier gauge, better welds, better finish of cut metal where fender skin abuts bottom bracket. 2nd fender to arrive Monday. Plan to drill holes for light, light conduit, and tool box on left fender this week and have them painted next weekend. Seems all the appropriate type tool boxes come painted Ford Corporate Blue. ????? Seems the Gloss Gray would be more appropriate?

20. Graysonr

Mar 31, 2017
    One fender arrived Friday. Second got separated (ooops) at FEDEX delivery point. Over the weekend I temporarily mounted to axle, good fit. Drilled mounting holes for hazard warning light and wire, and tool box. Will work on wire conduit over the next day or so. 2nd fender should arrive today. Bracket is size of original fenders and heavier, better welds and better finishing where sheet metal meets bracket at bottom than 1st set that I returned. Hope to have these painted on the weekend.