Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum. Recently acquired some property, approx. 60 usable acres, requiring road grading and brush control. Unfortunately, do not have any knowledge of tractors. Picked up copy of Ag Magazine which has listing of various farm equipment, and tractors and realized i need to do some research. Because limited to about $10,00, or less, spoke w/ person who suggested buy used, min. of 50 to 60 hp, 4 wheel drive, and made in USA. Mentioned brush hog, and scapper. Anyhow, thought perhaps member may have suggestion on literature that may help in selection. Any suggestions on type to narrow field would also be appreciated.

Not that it's a hobby restoring old vehicles, just can't afford anything new so endup putting money into the old one's to keep them running. For later project, restoring an old tractor is peaking my interest.

thx: confused:

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If your land is flat and not muddy often, you might be able to go with 2 wheel drive and 40 HP. That would get you a newer tractor with less features. The only other advise I can offer is get decent rear tires on what ever you buy. Those big rear tires are expensive, so if you max your budget on tractor "X" and then find out the rears are so worn as to not give traction, then the $1000 plus for 2 new ones becomes a big problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are area's where probably will need the 4 wheel drive. Thank you for the input. Will make sure what ever decide on has good rear tires.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I would check around dealer lots in your area, they'll have used tractors of different brands. It's just like buying a car, everybody has their brand preferences.;) You should be able to try out any tractor you're interested in for a couple of days to check it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestion. Intend to be in the area tomorrow where there are a number of tractor dealerships. Thought i should get some knowledge before hand, called sales person this afternoon who was very helpful. Heck, don't know what PTO means yet.

appreciate the info.

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Welcome opus:friends: PTO means Power Take Off. It is what run attachments like a finish mower or Bush hog , tiller or the like..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advise. Gee whiz, after scanning the 'list', only 1 state, makes one consider hand held brush cutter. Actually, at previous address, tried a bobcat neighbor had rented. By the time figured out what level did what had a bucket of dirt on my head. Still hear about that little episode. Lesson learn, get some training.

Currently, member of a truck forum and it took months of leaning from other members, and practical experence before i felt knowledgable enough to reply. Hope to contribute to this forum soon.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Well the advice of the brushhog, and a box scraper is good. Two vary usefull tools. You realy should do some reserch, and a lot of Q's, and read read read. Get out to some dealers, get on to a lot of diferent tractors. New, old, does not mater. Maybe rent one for a week end, and get some seat time in. 10 g's is not a ton of money. Yo will be looking at a used for that amount. Wile not an vintage tractor so much, at least an older one, that will probably need some repairs. Heck eaven a new one will need some, so might as well learn right away.:D :D

If it was me, I would be looking for a used, 10 or so year old compact tractor. 4wd, loader, deisel motor. Many out there, just have to do some digging.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Now that I realize that you are totally new to tractors, I would recommend that you go to 2 or 3 local tractor dealers and pickup a catalog at each to read at home and learn some of the terminology, and features and what they do. Once you have the basics, you should then be able to ask intellegent questions at your dealers. You can ask ANY questions HERE, as we are not concerned with waiting on other customers, and also are interested in keeping you from getting hurt. As far as I am concerned, there are no stupid questions, just occasionally stupid answers. Don't be shy about what you ask here. We were all new to tractors once and most are happy to pass on what they know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreicate the advice. Plan to visit few tractor dealerships today, as well as the main library. Hope to purchase first part of next year so i have some time to do the research. Found sales person who was very helpful intend to look him up.

thx again

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
A big part of buying a tractor, or any other major purchase, is finding some one who you are comfortable dealing with, and that you trust. A reputable dealer will try to give usefull and helpful information. They want repeat customers!!;) Don't be afraid to ask the salesman what he would recommend for the jobs you have in mind. And like Joe mentioned, feel free to ask ANY questions you have here, no-one will give you a hard time (not too bad any way :D ) we have all been new to some thing not so long ago!;)

tip #1; Live PTO means that the PTO ( device to drive mounted or towed implements) runs even when the transmision clutch is pushed in. ;)

tip #2; Live hydraulics means that the hydraulic pump runs independant from the transmision ( like live PTO), and is often engine mounted.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What do you plan to do with these 60 acres?
Investment, Ag business, Hobby, ETC.

Are you planning to run livestock or farming it?

Are you really going take the tractor in the areas that require 4 wheel drive?

Have you every thought about contacting the local FFA (Future Farmers of America) instructor at the local high school for recommendations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went and picked up brochures today. Disappointed Massey Ferguson did not have any literature to speek of. Found Case IH and Pioneer dealership and came out with briefcase of material. Apparently, used tractors turn around fast. Met individual in the area attends auctions who invited me along. Based on level of experience thought dealership may be best as resource and for followup maintenance. Also may be willing to come up with a reasonable payment plan, possibly shop for newer equipment. Pushed for time unable to meet w/ the helpful sales person, appears dealership carries few brands. Intend to meet with him in next few days. Came across couple of antique tractors but used constraint.

again thx for suggestions and advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts