Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice on a Massey Ferguson 50E with 3 pt hitch and pto would it make a decent all around farm tractor especially for brushhogging? And is 5000 hrs too much for a decently maintained tractor? I would appreciate any thoughts and advice y’all might share!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Howdy Fred, welcome to the tractor forum.

The MF 50E was made 1992-1994. 68HP. That's a relatively new tractor compared to what most of us on the forum have! See the attached tractordata sheet on this tractor below:
TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 50E industrial tractor information

My tractor is a 1982 model with 60HP and 4500 hours, so I don't feel that 5000 hours is excessive. Check it over for major leaks, make sure everything works. Loader tractors are hard on clutches. A loader makes it a bigger job to split the tractor to change the clutch. You might ask when the clutch was changed last.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
One thing I noticed later is the 50E has a 4 speed shuttle shift transmission, which limits your speed selection for mowing. I mow pasture grass at about 5.8 mph in 4th gear. You can mow at about 5.5 mph in second gear. But an 8 speed tranny gives you more speed options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I noticed later is the 50E has a 4 speed shuttle shift transmission, which limits your speed selection for mowing. I mow pasture grass at about 5.8 mph in 4th gear. You can mow at about 5.5 mph in second gear. But an 8 speed tranny gives you more speed options.
Thank you that was one of my concerns, the last several tractor I have owned no longer had legible Speedo/tachs ! I did not know what my ground speed was, again thanks ,just not sure if I want to compromise “normal” farm tractor task for what appears to be a a nice heavy built tractor/loader.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts