Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy New Lawn Tractor

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I am on 1 1/2 acres of uneven terrain. I currently have an old Craftsman GT5000 Tractor that has been neglected/weathered/etc. The mower deck is probably all rusted/seized, etc from being left out in the elements. Can't get the tractor started, possibly the starter or ignition switch, but haven't been able to get to it for a long while. Bought a new battery, spark plugs, and oil change last year. Didn't start after putting those items in.
Now that I am unable to get all the yard cut completely with a walk-behind, I'm looking to either attempt repairing this tractor again if it's worth doing so OR just buying a new tractor.
My question is:
Is it worth getting this GT 5000 fixed OR should I buy a new tractor? (I'm not very experienced but can do minor stuff.) If it is a big job, I may have to have a professional do the repairs.
Started researching some tractors in the less than $2,000 range.
I don't have a lot of spare time to put in to this. And the vegetation is encroaching around my property! So please take the time to reply soon with some sound advice!!
Thank you all!!
--I am not sure pictures will help but if you think they will. I'll be glad to oblige. Just let me know.

·
Administrator
10,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum. After reading your post, I think you would be farther ahead to look for a used lawn tractor. If you can't dig into the issues with the one you have, maybe a quote from a repair shop will help you decide which route to go.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
The whole answer revolves around the engine and transaxle. You have to figure out why the engine does not start and run.
If you past that hurdle thena close lo0ok at the deck. so long as the basic structure is OK you prob cannot get a new tractor for what it cost to fix this one.

However,, if you don't feel confident then a new tractor will be a better alternative.

Congratulations on being able to pushmower 1.5 ac.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
CV730 Kohler, could have either a Peerless, or a Hydro Gear transaxle, depending on the year. $400 lawnmower if it was running. Most bigger shops won't work on a machine that old. The non-running engine (at this moment) is worth $100-$150 to a guy that needs it. Transaxle is about the same to a guy that needs it. Rusty/worn out deck, is worth scrap metal, or we seem to use them a lot as "lawn art" down here in MS. Flip it upside down, and you can use it as a flower planter, or make a nice mosquito pond. Leave it right side up and it's a nice "snake hut" with the discharge chute acting as cool plastic awning for the entry door

1 - 4 of 4 Posts