Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My walk behind snowblower, with a 5hp Snowking has no lighting system on it. I know all the newer one's has it, and has a little wire on the side to plug in a light. Well looks like mine was made right before they started doing that.:mad:

I would like to add a light to mine, and wonder what would be invalved in adding this to my motor? Is it just a case of adding something, or is it a huge retrofit project? Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Paul
I'm not sure and maybe I'm not reading this right, but if it has a wire for a light can't you just hook up a light to that wire? Or are you not sure that wire is for a light? Or do you need to know how many watts you could run from that wire?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Paul…

If the engine wasn’t originally set up with an aux electrical system then
it most likely only has a magneto. You would need to add a stator under
the flywheel.
Additional issues could also include replacing the flywheel and changing
the ignition system.

A simpler solution might be to just add a battery and the light. You could
fully charge the battery when you saw it was going to snow. The light
should stay bright for quite a while and allow you to get the blowing done
before the battery need a recharge.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Six...

No the wire does not exsist. The later ones had it, but mine does not. I assume there is some kind of a lighting coil in there. Manly I was wondering what it would take to convert mine. Does it just bolt in, or as aegt says, will I need to change the flywheel, etc.

Good idea about the battery. I assume eaven a small battery will run a small light, and maybe eaven a small strobe, for WAY longer then I would need to clear the drive.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Paul,
Didn't you mention one time you had electric start on that? Is it 120 VAC starter or do you already have a small battery?

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was 120vt. No battery. If I cant retrofit a lighting coil, I will have to rig a battery. My drive leads out to a main road, and I would realy like some light just for safty.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
I'd look for a rechargeable flashlight with magnetic mount. Plug it in the wall of your storage area and you will always have a light handy without dead batteries. and a good magnetic mount would allow you to just stick it on the snowblower, or any piece of equipment with a flat metal surface for that matter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most newer ones have the stator already in there.

I, too, have a snowblower with "the wire".

These motors are made to fit many types of things and it is a simple 'plug and play' setup.

The no-load voltage of mine is 8volts. I'm thinking it's a six volt bulb, but not sure.

I was at the store the other day and saw one with a light on it... I took the bulb out and it was either a 1185 or 1285 (I can' remember). I have been unable to find any bulbs with the '85' suffix. I thought about using one filiment of the 1187 (try both to see which one shines bright enough).

I know it's possible. MTD sells an add-on light kit, but it doesn't specify the voltage or wattage.

I guess it would be possible to burn your coils, but if you start with a low watt 12volt bulb and work up to the required brightness, you should be okay.

Let us know if you find anything out.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm just 8volts huh???

Well maybe I will have to try the "rig up a battery" route. Becouse of the road my drive opens on to, I realy need some lighting. A strobe, and some kind of small headlight. Just so I can be seen. Now I just have to figure out where to mount one.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Hmmmm just 8volts huh???

If you want to get adventurous, many electronics stores will sell step-up or step down voltage regulators. You could use this to charge a battery.

You could always get one of those wheel-mounted generators that they used to use on bicycles to run lights. Try mounting it so I catches the transmission wheel at just the right speed.... Might work.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Alternate to Battery Idea

An alternate to my suggestion of using a battery or your efforts
to rig up a stator and voltage regulator is as follows:

The next time you’re in town and see a guy with a towel around
his head, take it from him. Soak the towel in “Light Sweet Crude”
and place it on a pole at the end of your driveway. Light the
oil soaked towel, it should warn on coming cars for long enough
for you to get the driveway clear of snow.
:devilish:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Keweenaw4310
So you didn't like the sell & upgrade route?
That's always my favorite.

As for the battery mounting area.... The Ariens I had with the 12V battery box, had the box mounted off the back of the auger box. On the right side, just in front of and to the right of the right hand wheel.

They did it with a little bolted on platform. Kind of like a shelf. The battery box connected right to it. It was a box with a cover that kept snow off of the battery.
Thanks for the update on where they put it. I will see what I can rig up. As for upgrade? Na to much effort:D :D :D

BTW what type of battery did they use? Was it a GT type battery, or a bigger one? Seems like a car battery would last a lot longer, but would be kinda big. How long do you think a GT battery would last running a small light, and a strobe?

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Welcome to tractorforum phil:friends: You are right you must have a flywheel and add a stator for the motor to produce enough current to run the motor and lights.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Phill, and welcome!!

Ya I figured that was the case. So now just waiting to see if I can find some junkyard parts, or just mount a battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts