Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a user of the free adaware stuff which cleans up your system from spybots, click trackers and other messy hidden things that come down from the internet to your computer. I have antivirus and antispam and firewalls and all that wonderfull stuff. Anyways, I've been getting pissed at my email because I am getting alot of bounced mail messages on messages that I did not send. I am also still getting too much spam.

To cut to the chase, I ran adaware which I downloaded a few months ago and it cleaned up some stuff. I went to a site that is called adaware which appears to be different than the lavasoft Ad-aware 6.0 product. The product is called spyassasin and costs $29.95. I decided to give it a try.

Downloaded it and ran the install, during the install it asks for you to pay $29.95, if you press cancel, it reduces the cost to $19.95... THEN I payed for it. Ran it and it found stuff that ad-aware did not find. It has also appeared to of cleaned up my email and spamming problems better.

Just thought I'd share some information with others. I'm still messing around with it and need to let it run for a week to get better results, but it does look like it cleaned my system pretty good. I only found it because it appears they stole the link of adware.

traditional free Ad-Aware: http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

spy assasin: http://www.ada-ware.com/

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have always used both Ad-aware and Spybot for the simple reason two excellent products are better than one. Sometimes one will find the critters and the other won't........but ALWAYS weekly or even daily update them.
There's a new version Spybot called 1.3. Version 1.2 won't auto update to it either. If you're already using Spybot uninstall vers 1.2 and install 1.3 with the link posted by Simple John. Also donate to the dude even if its just a few bucks.....he does GOOD work.

I learned the hard way a very basic thing you can do is turn off the auto download for the preview pane of Outlook Express. I picked up a NASTY little trojan last week because of this. I didn't even open an email that automatically installed and then placed over 50 more nastys into my registry......the email had No subject,no sender and no text....but it DID have a critter that added "dpusys" to my desktop and some other hard to kill exe files that constantly reinstalled itself as you deleted them. Only doing some SERIOUS "Googling" and using a combo of both (including the newest Spybot) did I get rid of the little baztards.

A free scan from Panda Anti-virus doesn't hurt either.
Probably another teenager out there in the world just itching to make a name for himself....:devilish:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts