Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't even believe I'm writing this, our first chow, Nala, died today at the vet's. She was 10 years old and for the last few days just not herself. She had some diarrhea towards the end of the week and some vomiting. We were giving her chicken broth and rice and some boiled chicken as the vet had recomended. My wife and son took her into the vet this morning and he examined her and said her heart and everything seemed OK, could not detect any tenderness in her abdoman, or in a rectal exam, but said she was a little dehydrated. He took a stool sample that he was going to have analyzed and took her in the back to give her a hydration treatment. He came back out a short time later and told my wife and son that she had collapsed and died. He tried to revive her but couldn't.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I am very sorry to hear that, If the Vet couldn't help her, then I am sure there was nothing you could have done. At least you had 10 years to share with your friend. God bless, you are in my prayers.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Sixchows, thanks for taking the time to share a bit of your life and your namesame with us. Animals become so much more than just pets sometimes and I can certainly relate with you. Best wishes and prayers for you and your family during this difficult and emotional time. Cherish the memories my friend and be thankful for all of those times you shared.

Regards,
Andy

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Sixchows sorry to here that they become a member of the family and are truly missed. Here is a poem that i keep to send to people who just lost there dog just to try and help them cope.

Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown

·
Registered
272 Posts
sorry for your loss , I know pets are like part of the family :(

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Wow 6C, didnt you just mention she was feeling poorly of late...
very sad.. at least she did not suffer.. nothing else you can really say.. its sad to lose a member of the family especially so suddenly..

i know its no concellation.. but at least you did not have to bring her to put her down... and at least you had brought her to the vet so you can know that she have the best treatment and you guys did the best you could do for her....

sorry to hear...

jp

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I think it's probably a blessing that she went on her own. That's a hard decision to make and it sticks with you for a long time.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Sixchows, so sorry for your loss. I am in the same pain today you're in. The vet just left here about 7:30. She came to put down our Pomeranian. She had been crippled and unable to walk for 6 years. We always said we'd have to do something about her when she got in a lot of pain. Of late, after all the years of laying on her chest she was experiencing a lot of pain so we decided it was time. Very hard thing to do and it never gets any easier.
My condolences on the loss of your family member. Hutch

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Sixchows....sorry to hear the news of your loss...I feel for you friend as I know what your going through...Take care and remember the good times frown

·
Registered
32 Posts
HI Bob,very sorry to hear this,I have a black lab that is just my wifes and mine best friend,he's 8 and is diabetic,takes alot of work to keep him feeling well,the best to you and your family,GOD BLESS . Rick

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Sorry to hear that Nala passed away.
We lost two shepherd’s after 10 years, its takes a while to sink in
that she really isn’t around anymore. You get so use to doing
certain things with them, and when their gone, it just doesn’t feel
right anymore. Everybody says to think of the good times you
had with them, but that only seems to make you feel worse.

Dogs seem to have their own personality and traits that stick in
your memory. The simplest act on your part gives them a full day
of happiness and no matter how hard you try, there is no getting
around the hurt of the loss. This is indeed, a very sad day.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I know how you feel sixchows. It is good that she passed on her own time and you did not have to make that decision for her. She will still be with you and your family for a long time in your thoughts.

Mark

·
a day ahead of y'all
1,311 Posts
6'er,

I know how you feel. I just lost my Tommy about 2 hours ago. Best to you and yours and keep the memories close. That's about all I can say now.

Greg

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
6Chows, I know how you feel, In March our faithful companion a little brittany spanial that was special to my wife and me had to put to sleep from a cancer. The memories always flood back of the times we spent enjoying each other and midnight walks we had everynight for the pervious 5 years, the game every night we said goodnight to each other and the gentleness he displayed. This boy was never high strung as a lot of the other britts ans springers we had had. Just a real mellow fellow. We miss him dearly but Nickie is no longer in pain and waiting for my wife and me at the rainbow bridge.
We received Nickie from rescue 5 and half years ago and he was a happy boy. He immediately knew the bread had to buttered by going to wife right away and resting his head on my wifes lap 5 minutes after he arrived. He was a sad sight when we got him. A flea allergy left him bald on his back from the base of his tail to his front shoulders. He had a ear infection and he looked really bad. This boy weighed only 28 pounds.
In 6 months his fur was back and he weighed 38 pounds. He was the pet love of our life.
We have another dog now and he is Rocky. Another rescue we love him and he is different then Nickie but he is entertaining in his own way.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Sixer.. I feel your pain, and am very sorry. As you know I just had mine put down a few days ago, and it's still kinda strange around the house, and have not realy gotten over it yet. Also haveing put down the best dog in the world a few months ago I know how painfull it can be. I am very glad she went quick and onher own. Little suffering, and a lot less guilt. Always tough to lose a close frend, I am very sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
We love our pets dearly and it is always sad to lose one. I share your loss and you have my condolences.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts