Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys what is the best way to get off slide on rims is there a puller out there and what is the best way to get the steering wheel off in one piece

·
Registered
664 Posts
What are you trying to remove the rims & steering wheel from?

Generic advice for the steering wheel: if you've removed the nut, you can spray some PB-Blaster on the splines, let set a while & then crank the wheel from lock-to-lock a couple of times, then yank on it hard.

Or, you can loosen the nut, back it off to the end of the shaft (but don't remove it), pull "out" on the wheel (increasing the tension on the hub/shaft junction) and have someone whack that shaft (:eek:) with a mallet & brass drift. That should pop it loose.

HTH!
Angel

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks now for the rims what would you say is the easys way to get the rim off a JD 70 there are the slide on type

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
If your not in to big a hurry tilt it on its side and spray PB blaster and let it set do that every day for a week and then see if it will come off. When those get stuck like that its hard to get off. Here is a link from the last guy who's wheels were stuck. He had to do major work on it. Don't just go beating on it as you can screw the trans-axle up.

Not a pretty site

·
Registered
664 Posts
If it runs...
(1) remove whatever retention device is used from (both sides),
(2) spray the axle/wheel hub with penetrant (let it sit a while)
(3) then drive it. Switch from forward to reverse and back again a number of times (be kinda rough - the shock load should help break free the rust). You may have to re-spray with penetrant.

If it doesn't run...
(1) see above
(2) see above
(3) jack up the opposite side and use a hammer & drift on the wheel left on the ground.

It's a brute-force method, but it can work.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
The alternate method is to use a tool call a puller (some are designed as a steering wheel pullers). These are sold at most parts houses (NAPA etc) The look like 3 legs spread out to resemble a Y with a bolt thread type rod down the center of the puller, it has a bolt tightening Nut on the top. I have one and it works great for removing steering wheels. Generally you remove the cover from the center of the wheel and back off the center nut from the wheel and then find off to the sides is 2-3 threaded holes next to center nut, You find the right bolts and thread these thru the wheel puller into the steering wheel and then you tighten down the center threaded rod part of the wheel puller and it pulls on the bolts and applies pressure on the column until it snaps loose. Then you remove the puller, the center nut the rest of the way and the steering wheel should slide the rest of the way off. The drive around method is way to remove the wheel with a good penetant the other way would be a little bit of heat from a torch, of course you could also go to your local dealer and ask question on how they do it also. I edited this to add a online source for what a puller looks like.

http://www.toolking.com/shop/view.asp?ID=8553

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
There is one other thing to remember when removing a frooze on tire and wheel. It is your personal safety, remember not to go to fast and be extremely careful. The wheel could drop off without any retainers and drop the tractor on its side or tip the entire tractor over. So have a observer watching what is going on with the wheel all the time you are moving it without the retainers.

Also if you use a wheel puller always wear safety glasses when using it. I once was a vehicle mechanic and had a steering wheel shatter in my face. I was wearing safety glasses and otherwise then a few bruises on my face I did not get thing in my eyes, Just be aware of the facts. Use personal protective devices (PPE's).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good Point

Michael:

Good point on the PPE. Most people don't think of things like a steering whell shattering or anything happeing to what ever they are pulling off. I always wear them now since one day I was using a 3/4" impact gun with a 2" socket rated for the gun and when air was applied to it to remove the stubborn bolt the socket shattered.:mad: But with the help of Snap On they replaced and I had no permante damage :D

So remember when doing things like this take your time and think about it first.

"And always read your safety manual and any instructions that came with the equipment, and always wear your safety glasses"

:fineprint Bob

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I like the advice

Originally posted by CatDaddy
If it runs...
(1) remove whatever retention device is used from (both sides),
(2) spray the axle/wheel hub with penetrant (let it sit a while)
(3) then drive it. Switch from forward to reverse and back again a number of times (be kinda rough - the shock load should help break free the rust). You may have to re-spray with penetrant.

If it doesn't run...
(1) see above
(2) see above
(3) jack up the opposite side and use a hammer & drift on the wheel left on the ground.

It's a brute-force method, but it can work.
The one thing I would do different is not completely remove whatever is holding the wheel on, just loosen it so you don't lose the wheel if it breaks loose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts