Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this at the end of my last post and decided to create a new thread since this is an new issue.

I decided to have the entire 9N's engine rebuilt due to other larger problems. Once I got the tractor back it ran fine until today. I'mk now having to keep the choke pulled all the way out for it to run. Any suggestions why? This just started today after using the tractor for about 45min.

·
Registered
16 Posts
9n

Since you rebuilt the motor , I would start and look into the fuel tank and see if you have any debris floating in the bottom of the tank , These tractors after years of running get a lot of moisture, dirt and other things in the tank and I would see if there may be garbage in the bottom of the tank first , Then drain all fuel , and clean the fuel sediment bowl below the tank, Make sure the screen is clean, The first 2 things can be done in a short time, Next I would consider a carb rebuild kit if the first 2 easy ideas didnt help or didnt fix it, since it sounds carb related to me its best to check at the tank and get the easy stuff out of the way that can cause a carb to starve for fuel,, If you dont, have a carb rebuild kit you could buy just a gasket set on ebay or other places and take carb off and let it soak overnight in cleaner, then clean out all the orfices not just with an air gun but also with a small piece of wire because things get lodged in the carb orfices, after cleaning carb overnight and all orfices with a small wire reassamble and see how it runs , It sounds like a clogged carb to me or orfice but might as well rebuild since you have just rebuilt motor and this should take care of your problem,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
During the engine rebuild I had the carb rebuilt too. It was running fine a few days ago, then started this behavior today. If it runs with the choke pulled out could that mean that trash is not the culprit? I actually drove it about 3/10 of a mile holding the choke out to park it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
9n

Well you said it ran but the choke needed to be out so it sounds like it starving for fuel, I would eliminate the easiest possibilities first,
#1 check tank for dirt and debris, look into tank and see if there is any obstruction in the bottom of the tank if so take it off and dump it out or clean tank out,
2nd remove sediment bowl and screen to see if its blocked, If so just clean it out
3.Remove line at carb to see if fuel is flowing or possibly blocked after sediment bowl if so clean it out,
4. has any one turned a carb screw somehow all the way in check basic adjustment on cab to make sure screw didnt turn to far in somehow '
5.Drain carb bowl and check for debris in bowl , put screw backin and try and see if it runs yet without choke.

6.at this point if still not running right i would remove carb and disassemble and soak in carb cleaner overnight, ,then clean all orfices with a piece of wire to make sure nothing is stuck in case the last guy didnt run any thing thru orfices, Then reassamble , a carb kit is under 20 dollars or take carb off and take back to the guy who rebuilt it to look at it .
Just a few ideas to get you going .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the simple approach and drained the carb and the fuel line. Then I opened the pin all the way. Tractor ran for about 20min without skipping a beat before I turned it off. When I have more time to kill, I'll go through and clean all the filters.

Until then...weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I added a inline filter to mine just because they are cheap and will catch what the others might miss, I fought with mine for a while until I did that, now I just change that filter out when needed and I have had no more issues. If you do this just make sure you get a flow filter meaning that gas flows freely. Some filters are used with fuel pumps and you dont get a full flow when you use them. I found this out the hard way. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts