Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, my 8N Ford tractor is beginning to bounce up and down as it moves forward, not pulling any load. I am thinking my clutch is slipping. Any thoughts regarding how to check this out and what to do to fix this problem?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Were we discussing some car or truck doing this then a disintegrating clutch pad would come to mind. In addition, anything going round-go-round which has lost a 'chunk' from the round part might/could yield a bouncie hop - say for example a flywheel. Possibly even a throw-out bearing or maybe even oil on the clutch pad.

I know, not a very definitive answer, but at least it might get "stuff" flowing toward a real "8N answer" from those who might have a better perspective.

Once again, any takers? - Joe -

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hello 8n_guy,

There is a small drain hole in the bottom side of the clutch housing with a cotter pin in it. Wiggle the cotter pin to ensure that the drain hole is open. You may have a plugged drain and some oil pooled in the clutch housing?? This oil (leakage) can be from the rear main seal of the engine or from the input shaft seal of the transmission. Clutches can get "grabby" if there is oil on the clutch disc. If the drain hole is plugged, run a small wire up alongside the cotter pin to open the drain.

If the drain is open, I suspect that you will have to split the tractor and replace clutch, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello 8n_guy,

There is a small drain hole in the bottom side of the clutch housing with a cotter pin in it. Wiggle the cotter pin to ensure that the drain hole is open. You may have a plugged drain and some oil pooled in the clutch housing?? This oil (leakage) can be from the rear main seal of the engine or from the input shaft seal of the transmission. Clutches can get "grabby" if there is oil on the clutch disc. If the drain hole is plugged, run a small wire up alongside the cotter pin to open the drain.

If the drain is open, I suspect that you will have to split the tractor and replace clutch, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing.
Thanks for the input. I thought it may be the clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts