Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the logs again and there are simply a ton of people who look at this site with 800x600 screen resolution. While most everything fits at that resolution, the 1024x768 is alot better and easier to read in my opinion. Just curious as to why so many people seem to be using the 800x600 resolution.
Perhaps lots of small monitors? I use a 23" at home set to 1024 and 1280 sometimes higher, but even my other monitor is a 19" and set to 1280x1024 on a Radeon 9800 video card --- but 1024x768 looks better IMHO than 800x600..... I digress... :D

In any case, thanks ---------- :D

Andy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Andy, my eye sight is so bad that I find that at 800X600 I can get close to the screen and read it better. I can read the 1024X768, but not as well. Can you tell by ones post what we are using?

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not each and every single user (unless I want to read IP logs and cross reference tons of info) --- but I can tell you exactly how many people visit the site, what resolution they use on their PC, what operating system they are using, browser, etc... i use that simply to make sure everything is working and setup for the majority of users.....

So, good to see everybody starting to return after Christmas!
just wish I was feeling better.

Andy
:D

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
i use the higher res. my 17" flatscreen died last week (8 months old) so i am back to my big 19" klunker... but to be honest, its easier on the eyes.. i sort of like the klunker.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
At home I use a lap top. Small, probably 15" screen. I don't know what I run for res, But I bet I am one of your 800x600 guys.:) I will have to check now.

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by admin
I was looking through the logs again and there are simply a ton of people who look at this site with 800x600 screen resolution. While most everything fits at that resolution, the 1024x768 is alot better and easier to read in my opinion. Just curious as to why so many people seem to be using the 800x600 resolution.
Perhaps lots of small monitors? I use a 23" at home set to 1024 and 1280 sometimes higher, but even my other monitor is a 19" and set to 1280x1024 on a Radeon 9800 video card --- but 1024x768 looks better IMHO than 800x600..... I digress... :D

In any case, thanks ---------- :D

Andy
Probably because you have better eyesight than the rest of us. What with that big ol' eye and all. I didn't know what I was running at and just checked. It was 800x600. I just swapped it to 1024x768, it is definitely a lot smaller print. I'll try it for a while so I dont have to keep moving the screen over to get at things.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use the 1024 x 768, but I wear glasses, can't read it without them.

A little off the subject, but does anybody else have a two monitor setup. Once you do it you won't go back. For instance, loading pictures (dialup), I can move it to the second monitor and continue browsing on monitor one. Have a spreadsheet on one monitor and a different spreadsheet on the other, etc.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Andy,
I'm at 800 X 600 on a G3 iMac (all in one CRT) that I think is 13 or 14 inches.

I find the 1024 X 768 a little small on this monitor. I agree that there is more screen "real estate" at the higher resolutions, but 800 X 600 is what I'm used to on this machine.

Funny you brought this up, because one day I was on my kids 17" FP iMac (LCD) which is set at 1440 X 900. I was browsing this site and thought "wow, they changed the image on the upper right side". But then I realized the difference was due to the higher resolution as shown on the posts below.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I've been using 800 x 600 with text size set to medium. I have a 15" monitor. I generally have the keyboard in my lap, my feet propped up on a foot stool with the monitor on the desk. This puts me about two feet from the monitor. Even using large text on the higher res., it's a little too small for me. I can see the full width without scrolling at 800 x 600. I should get a laptop with a wireless connection.

Argee,
Maybe if you lower your text size by a notch or two you might get away from having to scroll left to right.

Mark

·
Tractor Lover
4,461 Posts
Originally posted by memmurphy
Argee,
Maybe if you lower your text size by a notch or two you might get away from having to scroll left to right.

Mark
Thanks memmurphy, I had forgotten all about that feature. Goes to show ya, if you don't use it, you lose it!:smiles:

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
My setting at home shows 1024x768. Seems to be OK, but the nice 22" montor at work, with cable modem is SO much better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts