Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having problems with my 7740 overheating while baling hay. I’ve changed air filters blowed out radiator and condensers as well as washed them out. Changed thermostat and gasket and coolant also. No loss of coolant. If I’m cutting tetting or even hauling hay it runs around midway on temp gauge. Any input would be of great help. Also only has 3200 original hours

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good Morning, welcome to the forum.

Your tractor may have a viscous fan coupling which is supposed to move more air as the engine gets warmer / hot. You may recall it "roaring" back in the day when it was new? If so, it's probably worn out.

Is the fan belt slipping?

You can get a test kit for about $40 to check for combustion gas in the coolant. Check it when it overheats.

You could add an extra row of cores to the radiator, and have the old cores rodded out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m having problems with my 7740 overheating while baling hay. I’ve changed air filters blowed out radiator and condensers as well as washed them out. Changed thermostat and gasket and coolant also. No loss of coolant. If I’m cutting tetting or even hauling hay it runs around midway on temp gauge. Any input would be of great help. Also only has 3200 original hours
Water pump is also new. Sorry I forgot to add that. I’ve only had the tractor 4 months and can’t say that I’ve heard it roaring. However when I kick off pto and reduce my rpms a little bit it tends to cool down quicker by the gauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What makes you think that your tractor is overheating?, just curious.
Because any use of the tractor other than rolling hay the temp gauge never moves over 95c but when rolling hay pulling the same hills it’s hitting between 120 or pegged out on the gauge. However it’s losing no coolant nor is it using any oil.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think if I were you, I'd invest in an inexpensive handheld IR non contact thermometer and get some actual temperature readings. Usually, gauges on tractors are a scant cut above an idiot light, IOW woefully inaccurate. I keep and IR thermometer handy all the time anyway. I like to 'shoot' the bearings on my hay bailer to make sure none are running hot. Hot bearings on a hay bailer can contribute to a roasted unit, which is usually the cause of bailer and combine fires anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts