Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Newer parts available...

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for test to check starter: good/bad. Found in a "MOTOR" truck, motorhome, tractor, etc. manual, info about my Ford 6 volt pos grd, starter w/drive. Betty Lu is a great tractor when she is running.
IMG_0533.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0683 (1).jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My tractor is like owning a Corvette, back in the days when I drove myself mad with constant tinkering. Then, sold car bought a house and Harley Davidson, had to tinker with Harley constant. Now it is just Betty Lu and the house that are the constant, I must like constant:confused:

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
I had a 1947 Chevrolet truck that I converted to 12 volt. I left the original push button on the floor starter in, because the 6 volt starters actually have heftier windings. The immediate result is that they turn over faster and you get easier starts, especially in Winter when it's cold out and harder to turn over the engine. Also things like bulbs are much more readily available and cheaper. As far as negative ground, my 1953 Dodge truck was negative ground and I'm not really sure that there is any real advantage to it. I know that adding a stereo to my Dodge was a PITA to do because I had to isolate the stereo from the body of the truck. I believe I wound up just turning the Dodge into standard ground.

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
I have two fords (8N's) one is 6 volt and the other is 12 volt. I love the originality of the 6 volt tractor, but I also love the reliability of the 12 volt one! It seems to be getting a bit more difficult to find 6 volt parts and chargers for that matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts