Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
My next summer project (need to get the barn built before I start)
Anyone else '49 Chevy flathead?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like a nice straight specimen. Any rust? I restored a 52 chevy with an inline 6 as a senior high school auto shop project years ago. A lot of fun! Cars were sure simple in those days.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rust

Rust is only on the roof!
the engine is in the trunk (basket case)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replacing

I will most likely replace to motor with a new 6 long block, the old (per-60's) Chevy down here like to over heat and oil failure was big the killer too. Unleaded gas brings new issues, this 6 has had oil problems all its life rebulit twice, and 11 oil pumps later tells me there must be a design flaw!

I will rebuild the old motor ( I will teach my step-son when he is ready). But I what to get it out on the road this spring, so a new chevy long block striaght 6 that can run unleaded and I have nuff hp to put in and A/C unit (there is nuff room to hide and evaporator and fan housing unit behind the dash).

·
Registered
849 Posts
Unleaded gas is no problem with a car. If you are going to the expense of changing what year 6 were you thinking of using? For about the same money why not go with a 350 V8 ?
Rodster

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No sure as of yet

I have yet to start really researching. It has a good transmission and the trans differ from the 6 and the 8's but I plan to cruise not hot rod. It could have a 6 or 8. So the trans should not be an issues. Whatever it going to be it going to be fun!
But I am going to convert it to a 12 volt systems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts