Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm replacing my meter panel and trying to figure out the gauge function. The fuel sender is a variable resistor. The coolant temperature sender is a thermistor which measures 4700 ohms at 68 degrees (warm today.) A galvanometer type gauge normally has two terminals, is polarity sensitive, and I would expect it to be supplied with 12 volts on one side, with the other side going to the sender, thence to ground.

So, what the heck is the 3rd terminal on each of the two gauges?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hey Chris,
It's been nearly 30 years since I wired my Ford 3610 instrument cluster, which is the same as yours. It has never failed. But I cannot remember the details. Therefore, I will guess the 3 connections: 1) Power from the voltage stabilizer, 2) Sending unit wire, 3) Ground wire.

I'll have to go look at it in the morning....

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Thanks. Mine does not have voltage stabilizer - it this just a resistor? Anybody know what value?
Your tractor does not have a voltage stabilizer. I found the following explanation on the internet:

"Bi-metal gauges were used on Ford X600 series tractors until June of 1979, at which point Ford went to magnetic gauges. This not only did away with the voltage stabilizer, it also required different sending units."

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
OK, I accessed the back of my instrument cluster. The three wires going to the fuel gage and to the temperature gauge are: 12V, Ground, and sending unit.

Is there anything else you want to know before I button it back up??

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
OK, looking at the cluster from the rear, the single terminal on the right of the fuel and temp gauges is for the sending unit.

The upper left terminal of both gauges is for 12V power. The lower left for both gauges is for ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts