Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how to wire autolite alternator and regulater into system for conversion to twelve volt system. Have added twelve volt coil and volt meter,any help would be great.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Paul, sorry we missed this post. I am bumping back up to the top for some of the other guys to see. I am thinking that maybe Partsman or Bear can give you some good advice on this.

And my belated welcome to Tractor Forum! :friends: :cheers:

·
Registered
94 Posts
6/12 Volt Conversion

Other than maybe having to modify the mounting bracket the alternator should be no problem. Only might not fully charge because of the lower RPM of the tractor engine. I would suspect that that will work out OK. The voltage regulator should be no problem wiring in. Battery to battery, field to field.

Now if it is a positive ground I will have to think about it for awhile. Another post on the tractor forum asked that question.

Starter motor and lights. The lights will have to be changed to 12 volts. The starter motor will heat up quicker. And will eventually burn out from the excess voltage. But my brother put a 6 volt ford engine in a newer ford, and it ran for years with the original 6 volt starter. But somehow or other the starter motor will have to be changed to a 12 volt model.

I know motors self compensate for supply voltage variations. It is one of those inherent things with how motors run.

Does anyone know if starters are series or shunt wound? That will make some difference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
6/12 volt conversion

If it is positive ground, you will have to get a positive ground alternator. Unless you figure out how to reverse the polarity of the diodes in the alternator.

The starter motor, you will just have to look for a replacement for it. Like I said it will probably work for awhile, but will burn out eventually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts