Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l was offered a 350 4 bolt main all in parts but run before it was takein apart it a 350 4 bolt main small or big block and for 200 $ do you thing it is good on to my second question would is a good prise for a running 283 thanks JAmes

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
The 350 is a small block and it being a 4 bolt main means it came out of a truck but it also means it a better built and stronger motor. $200. isn't bad if the block and crank rods and pistons and heads are good.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
James

How far was it taken apart? Are all the valves, pistons, rods and bearings disassembled? The parts should be put back to their matching locations as each will have worn a little differently.

If it's that far apart, it would be easier to hone the cylinders, replace the rings, do a valve job, and put in new rod bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
l thing my car it the size of a truck or boat :captain: buddys dad has a 350 4 bolt main in his T/A

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by sixchows
James

How far was it taken apart? Are all the valves, pistons, rods and bearings disassembled? The parts should be put back to their matching locations as each will have worn a little differently.

If it's that far apart, it would be easier to hone the cylinders, replace the rings, do a valve job, and put in new rod bearings.
thats what l plan on doin totle rebuild

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
James
If you plan on rebuilding it $200 sounds like a deal. Check for any obvious cracks in the block and heads before handing over any cash.
A 350 with 4 bolt mains and a 4bbl carb or even a Holley FI set up would be perfect for your Pontiac!

·
Registered
289 Posts
If the oil pan is off of it, verify that it is indeed a 4-bolt main block. The center three main caps on the crank will be held on with four bolts instead of the standard two. So many people mistakenly think they have a 4-bolt main block when in fact they don't. If it's a 4-bolt, I'd snatch that up for 200. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the heads. You can spend quite a bit of money getting those heads in shape (especially if you are after performance), or you can spend a little more for a better set of aftermarket heads. The price difference isn't that great anymore.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I forgot to mention, a lot of the 4-bolt blocks had forged steel cranks in them. Check for the casting mark on the bob weights. A cast crank has a thin casting mark from where the molds were separated. The forged cranks have a wide mark on them from forging, this mark is about a quarter inch wide. If it has a steel crank in it, make sure this doesn't disappear while it's at the machine shop. I've had that happen to me before.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Are you looking to buy, or sell the 283? Realy not a big call for them, hard to get much money. If you are buying I would pass it by. That is REALY not enough motor for your car. A 350 would be much better.

As for the 350 4bolt. Its a good price, but be warned that a full rebuild can be costly. If you are on a budjet, running 350's are everywere, and cheap to boot.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Ingersoll444
Are you looking to buy, or sell the 283? Realy not a big call for them, hard to get much money. If you are buying I would pass it by. That is REALY not enough motor for your car. A 350 would be much better.

As for the 350 4bolt. Its a good price, but be warned that a full rebuild can be costly. If you are on a budjet, running 350's are everywere, and cheap to boot.
no sell the 283 and buying the 350 the 283 is still in the car and the 350 is sitting in a work bench l'm going a head and buying it right my price range is around 2000 but l will change ones l sell some things thanks for the help l will try and get pics

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
what year for that parisienne? are you sure it is a original 283? and not a later 307? us pontiacs did nOT use chevy small blocks inthe 60's -- and when they went to corporate blocks in the 70's it was the 307 or 350 by then- an original 283[ especially with a rochester 2 barrel ] is sought after by collector car boys-- authentic motor for old chevys--

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
l was told it was a 283 mite be wrong the 1969 came with a 350 2bbl and had the opt of a 427:truth: why a 350 it can handle a 427 lol ones l pull out the 283 l'm going to look at the numbers on it l got a build sheet for pontiac says what my car had and what motor

·
Registered
22 Posts

Hi James,

If the motor does indeed match the body, I would hold onto it. Just in case down the road you want to return to matching numbers. People buy cars that do not match then spend a lot of money tracking the original parts. If you are lucky enough to have it already it's priceless.

I kept my 396/402 and raced other motors. Then years latter I was glad to have the "right one" to put back in.

Just my opinion,

Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts