Tractor Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm down to 2 fasteners to remove and it looks like this is a grind-it-off requirement. I've been patient and tried all the usual remedies, but these last two are not coming off-- extra large, pan head, phillips, machine screws.... pan heads -- look pretty and pretty much suck to remove.

JW

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
After no rain and 106 temps all summer, it has now rained all month. lol
One more cateract surgery tomorrow (monday) for the Mister, and then two doc appointments next week.
Then done for the year.
Perhaps, when the last 70 degree day is gone, and its 45 and freezing north wind, I'll be lucky enough to how a few days of down time to go back and wack on that pan head screw again.
Currently, I've stretched a large black plastic trash back over the steering wheel and ooched it up over the 'dash' so it limits the water intrusion.

JW

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I'm still working on the last two screws to get the bonnet off.
Meanwhile, horse had stroke this weekend and vet came today.
Now horse is dead and had a guy help me move her to the other pasture to bury her.
Husband now has 20/20 vision after two cataracts' surgeries and eyes are doing well.
Cat (20 years old) is still alive and doped up by vet... seems to be breathing better.

... Husband said to me before I left the house to go take the cat and follow up with getting the horse buried ...he says 'bring my cat home. He's gonna die at home. You are becoming the 'angel of death' when it comes to animals.... bring my cat home.'

Sigh --- you know he's right. since he's been sick these past 2 years, all the animals I've had put down (6 so far).. Course it would be a pretty crowded place if no one or nothing every died.

JW

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
IT HAPPENED TODAY !!!!!
Since September I've been futzing with the last two phillips, pan-head bolts on the bonnet. Or is it actually a screw ?? hmmm it is going into a capture nut.
PB Blaster, WD 40, Liquid wrench, tap with a hammer
repeated about every week,
sometimes twice a week.

Today, I prefaced my ministrations with some serious straight-talk about the lack of response from the tractor, sprayed everything - again, wacked the crap out of the top of the first screw with great authority and vigor.

Ditto on the 2nd one.

Back to the first one, and sprayed it, then tap, tap WACK . Swith to the screwdriver and SHAZAM -- that bolt unscrewed.

Then after I got the screw out, I laid it on the bonnet while I switched back to the hammer and watched that little twit roll right off and onto the ground in the leaves and dirt.

Shucky-darns!

Which made me wack the crap even harder on the 2nd screw (bolt)- whatever.

Then I spent about 3 minutes twisting it just a hair forward, then back - over and over again. Then another couple of wacks on the bonnet and it unscrewed!

Just in time for cold weather and rain!

So I'm ready to see what it takes to start it once it warms up.

JW

· Registered
151 Posts
Buy a JIS screwdriver, you will never use a Phillips head driver again.

JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard, they are on jap built stuff like motorcycles, they don't want to cam out like Phillips head drivers do.

If you look at a phiilips head screw on a jap bike you will often see burs on the screw head, that is from using the wrong driver.

They not only work great in jap screws they work better in phillips head screws than a phillips head driver will.

Once you own one you will never go back.

I use the Vessel brand but I'm sure there are other good brands out there.

· Registered
151 Posts
I'm not sure if that question was for me.

Originally the JIS screws had a dot on the head but that was dropped very early.

My point is the JIS driver works great in any star head screw, no cam out.

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'll keep the JIS in mind for the future.
As for this particular beast, I'm thinking of replacing the phillips for hex head. Its already had 3 of them replaced by prior owner.
I'm concerned that using the original phillips will lead to problems in the future given that the capture nuts are as rusted up as the bolts that were in them.
I'll keep all the originals to give to the next owner when I sell this thing, but until then I want to be able to get the bonnet on and off without problems.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts