Tractor Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Administrator
11,618 Posts
Busy day and an early start!
Any special concoction for treating the horses for flies? I've had luck with this....
Tire Green Product Blue Automotive tire

Use it on the Horses and myself! A little goes a long ways.

I also use a product called SWAT. Seems to work well and it is medicated as well.
I installed a Conk automatic sprayer in the barn, but the $100.00 + unit only lasted a year! And I can't see that timed mist being good for anything or anyone!
I've even tried stockings on the donkey's! Works, but it looks bad!
Wood Fawn Terrestrial animal Horse Snout

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I use a pair of gloves and wipe on a 1:100 mixture of pyrethrum because ...
wait for it.....
wait for it ....
neither of the horses will stand still for a sprayer.
Big babies.
I even bribe them with sweet oats, cattle cubes, apple chunks... nada.
The older gal (Lady) gives me the stink eye and makes a fuss.
The younger gal (Lexie) tolerates it better, but eventually backs away.
So, every time I go check them (every 2 days or so), I take some more liquid and a curry brush ...
then brush and wipe, brush and wipe.
I've inherited the two about 2 years ago, so they don't really trust me as well as their absentee owner.
lol
JW

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I managed to get the carb nuts loose and the carb is now dangling beside the engine, because I am clueless and without proper documentation.
Apparently, I meant to get a manual but never ordered one before all this heart surgery happened.

What in the heck is the purpose of the long rod, threaded at both ends that is attached at the front of the tractor and on a bracket on the backside of the carb?

It would really have been much easier to get this thing loose if I had realized I was fighting a seized up rod on a hidden bracket.

Were they afraid the carb would spontaneously fling itself from the tractor? (just a joke)

Apparently, I've run into the 'what is a governor' ignorance on my part.

Found this interesting solution:

JW

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Busy day and an early start!
Any special concoction for treating the horses for flies? I've had luck with this....
View attachment 80301

Use it on the Horses and myself! A little goes a long ways.

I also use a product called SWAT. Seems to work well and it is medicated as well.
I installed a Conk automatic sprayer in the barn, but the $100.00 + unit only lasted a year! And I can't see that timed mist being good for anything or anyone!
I've even tried stockings on the donkey's! Works, but it looks bad!
View attachment 80302

We have used Bronco Gold for years and it seems to do a really good job overall and it make them look good as well.....They get it twice a day at feeding times......

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
carb is now cleaned (pinesol) and I am on my third attempt at a gasket. I'm hoping tomorrow I get this back on the tractor, otherwise, it will be the weekend. Hubby goes in for 2 more tests on Friday.
JW

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Here we are again, I am closer to getting the carb on.

My husband's healthcare issues are still ongoing -- surgery got moved another 6 weeks out due to oversight by not one but 3 different doctor offices. I'm still angry about everything and it will take a long time for me to trust any of those ya-hoo-dles again.

So the 330 international weighs in at 3500 pounds or so, has a heavy bucket on the front, tires are 4 foot tall ... and because I don't have a 3/4 inch, thin cotter pin, I can't put the carb on. I have gargantuan pins and mid-size/smallish pins. But nothing to fit the carb.

So it will wait another day for the co-op to open (16 mile round trip) vs. head to town (48 mile round trip).

I even made a new gasket for it and was so optimistic that I already put the rtv gasket maker on the body parts so the gasket won't move. All of which is now dried up in the heat today so I have to remake that once I get the cotter pin.

Really makes no difference, since the temps are back up to over 100 again, the Mr has a new drug protocol coming tomorrow so there are those errands, and he mangled his left hearing aid so that's a 160 mile round trip to get it to the repair folks.

I'm just gonna go back to bed for a month until the weather changes and my attitude improves.

JW

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Here we have another 2 weeks gone by... the weather has been totally miserable -- heat index upto 118 one day but usually around 105 to 112. Ugh.
Today was a good morning... course we will have another 5 days of 100+ and then we should be topping out in the 90s and going down further as the fall approaches. Thank goodness.

Aortic heart valve replace got delayed 6 weeks, don't even get me started on that comedy of errors.

But I did get the oil bath filter off the tractor this morning. Bottom bowl has holes in it. It was 1/4 to 1/5 inch deep in fossilized dirt/oil. Got it all cleaned out and behold, there are rusted out places in it.

I put the rest of the filter (stack) in some used pinesol hoping to loosen up the gunk from the metal mesh filter. Will check on that later today.

The next issue is the exhaust system has about 18 inches of heat resistent fabric with 4 different clamps holding it in place up near the engine just beside the oil bath cleaner. So, since we have 4 more 100+ days, I'll do my twice daily pb blaster the rest of the week and see if I can get the rest of this off and cleaned up by next weekend.

JW

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
So I was looking at the diagram for how all this clutter goes together.
Part number: 4 and 10
One is a sleeve and the other is tape.

Why did they have both tape and a sleeve and 3 clamps to keep all that on the exhaust pipes?
Was it because of heat?
What should I be using now since none of these 'parts' are available.

JW

Carb before it was cleaned
Sculpture Art Gas Font Auto part

Tape above and sleeve below the clamp -- why is this mess on the exhaust pipe - she asked as a very typical novice .. ???

Wood Water Automotive tire Gas Auto part

My oil bath filter that has probably never been cleaned since it was put on this tractor in 1957.
Currently sitting with the bottom in pinesol.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

This is the 'sleeve' section with its own 2 clamps to hold it in place.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Wood

Carb after it was cleaned (pardon the messed up order of pictures today..lol)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
And one last question:
Paint Cookware and bakeware Tin Serveware Cylinder

There was not a 'precleaner bowl' in my oil bath cleaner on the 330 International.
Is that because 1) it never came with one in 1957 or 2) it cracked and was thrown out years ago by the previous owner(s)?
These little jewels are very pricey and I have to decide between new foam for the seat or a pre-cleaner bowl.
I've already got to purchase a replacement bottom oil bowl holder for the filter since the one I have has rusted through.

JW

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
About 28 bucks for a new bowl, 48 bucks for just the plastic insert above, and $125+ for a new stack... if I have my measurements correct. Right now I'm leaning toward an aluminum bowl inside the current hole-y bowl, put it in with some jbweld so it doesn't move around. Make do for now and then next year swap out to a proper solution.

Lets me get the seat material/foam and see if I can get this thing running this year.

That in itself then leads me to -- is there any thing else I need to fix.

JW

61 - 73 of 73 Posts