Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
315-8 and female

Any of you guys have a wife or g/f that handles a manual tranny?
Looking at the old reliable WH 315-8, but two things concern me.

1) can a novice be trusted in open areas? Did you train her, or baptism by fire? How long did it take and how is she doing now?
My better half handles the 68 JD110 ok in the open. Everything is at one speed, but I always worry. She is used to a hydro. Clutching is new to her. Only does it once in awhile.

2) what does it cut like? Have really nice turf and some on slopes and hills, but other half flat. Does 48" deck do ok?

Thanks all.

Fred

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
I wouldn't let my wife near a manual tranny, but that is because she has ABSOLUTELY NO understanding of machinery. I mean to the point that if the radio gets some static on it, she proclaims the battery needs to be charged! Apparently batteries are real important in her mind as they also control wheel allignment, and overheating. And I'm not sexist, one of the best VW beetle mechanics I'll ever know is a lady I went to school with. She can turn a wrench, rebuild an engine, or fix a tractor. My wife's talents unfortunately are not mechanical and without even a basic grasp of what a clutch does, my wife would destroy a tranny in a matter of minutes. I don't know where your wife fits in on the scale of mechanical knowledge, but the tranny in your Wheelhorse is worth more than a few dollars. So there is my 3 cents (adjusted for inflation)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe,

LOL, me too. I am 60/40 on the issue. I'd like a 315, but she would like a hydro. If someone tells me the cut is horrible or something, sorry to say that might help my decision.

Have 2 running manuals, but not for cutting anway. Need a new something for spring. Looking around.

BTW, the neighbor kid has taken the engine out of the old Yamaha LT I gave him already. Think he's having fun.

·
Registered
157 Posts
take it easy on us females, not all of us are that dumb (although it does seem that way...maybe you should start picking up chicks in a tractor supply or a grain mill or something.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
The Wheelhorse 315 is a pretty good garden tractor. I can't personally vouch for the quality of the cut, but as time proven as that design is, it has to be above average. And your wife is shifting the Deere, at least from forwards to reverse? You might risk it.

I'm really glad to hear the neighbor kid is having fun with your old Yamaha. That is as perfect a use for it as I could of thought of, teaching the next generation about tractors.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Now, now Kubotachick, Neither Fred or I said women were dumb, just that my wife is not mechanically savvy. She speaks over 8 languages, can read and write in 5, and far surpassed me in education. And I'm sure she says similar things about my lack of cooking skills. I think Fred was just concerned about loosing a transmission during the learning curve. Sometimes the "tuition" gets expensive while trying to teach. My first cake was a disaster, but I was only out less than $4 in ingredients.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yeah, i got ya...i was lucky i got to learn on an old stupid mg in the farm fields at work...no harm no foul. The machine was destined for doom anyways, and those trees never saw it coming.

I can't say i can cook either, my idea of home cooked meal is when you leave a taco from taco bell sitting out over night and warm it up in the microwave in the morning.

Thus the saying...if you can't find it, grind it...(not your teeth)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
foot in mouth here again,

Sorry kc, nothing meant. Just talking about ANY person used to a hydro, has some adjustment period to a manual. She does not drive a stick shift car, never has. On the tractor she only goes into neutral to stop/brake, never reverse.

Tell me how to re-title this topic to:

315-8 and non manual beginners

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
OK Fred i changed it for you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yeah, thats fine, i mean, it won't get as much attention, it was better the old way if you ask me. And you're lucky you got her on the tractor in the first place. At my work there were several ladies that i worked with that said if you ride on a tractor, you can "catch something".

What? I'm not sure...but they wouldn't sit on that seat to save their life. But riding in the bucket on the otherhand....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jody,

That totally freaked me out!!! The second I was done typing and looked at the main forum page.... it was changed.

Sheesh, my heart....thought some thought police were watching.

Anyway, thanks.

Take care, Fred

·
EX Super Mod
5,317 Posts
Sorry about that:D If you want it changed back just let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts