Tractor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ford 3000 died. It will require a complete overhaul with sleeves. I might do that someday, but I need a replacement. I used it to pull down trees, box blade, dig postholes and run a five foot brush hog and I used a boom pole because it did not have a FEL. I also used it to move things around such as a 2200 pound pontoon boat. I was wondering if a 25 HP tractor such as a John Deere 3025E would have enough power to do all that. If not, what would I need to get that type of work done? I was considering a l3301F (33HP). Will a subcompact tractor be tall enough to handle a PHD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tractor Forum

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
My Ford 3000 died. It will require a complete overhaul with sleeves. I might do that someday, but I need a replacement. I used it to pull down trees, box blade, dig postholes and run a five foot brush hog and I used a boom pole because it did not have a FEL. I also used it to move things around such as a 2200 pound pontoon boat. I was wondering if a 25 HP tractor such as a John Deere 3025E would have enough power to do all that. If not, what would I need to get that type of work done? I was considering a l3301F (33HP). Will a subcompact tractor be tall enough to handle a PHD?

Depends. Do you want a 'live' PTO or not?

Have no idea your location, thus it's silly offering advice because not all brands are in all areas.

And recently, on many of the busier tractor forums, so many machines are now out of order because computer parts and those specialized sensors can not be gotten in the supply chain ANYWHERE. Wait times are now out 2 YEARS.

Thus, IF you can buy used, a John Deere JD850 or JD950 diesel 28Hp would run circles around a gasser like the Ford 3000. And it would be a tad better than the diesel version. The diesel's really sip fuel vs. the gassers too.

Both the JD850 & JD950 have no issues with a PHD. I run one on my YM2610 (aka JD850) and have sunk over 24 tree plantings and over 500 wooded fence posts with the 9-inch diameter auger.

Reactions: BigT

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. My phd and cutter will run on a tractor with as low as 18 HP at the PTO. My Ford that died is a diesel, not gas. I found a New Holland tc 30 with FEL with 240 hours for 15k. 30 Hp and pto hp of 25. Another was a demo Kubota mc4800F with 49 HP with 112 hours for 18k but no FEL. 39 PTO HO. For what I described above, will the smaller New Holland work? Am I getting too much tractor with the Kubota?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Thanks for reply. My phd and cutter will run on a tractor with as low as 18 HP at the PTO. My Ford that died is a diesel, not gas. I found a New Holland tc 30 with FEL with 240 hours for 15k. 30 Hp and pto hp of 25. Another was a demo Kubota mc4800F with 49 HP with 112 hours for 18k but no FEL. 39 PTO HO. For what I described above, will the smaller New Holland work? Am I getting too much tractor with the Kubota?

Making any purchase over $5K requires to study out the value.

So, you have a few machines to consider. Do you plan on keeping the machine and then fix the Ford 3000 to sell? Or fix the Ford 3000 that isn't all computer controlled and sell the newer machine?

Reason being, IF it's either case, note to buy the machine with the highest produced engine found in LOTS of machines. This way, it's proven and well sought after. Parts should be available for years to come. Don't jump into something that has limited production run or a special nitch because the engines could adapt for a machine, but it's primary use is a genset.

New Holland TC30 has the Shibaura N843 engine. That engine is found in many, many, many machines of equipment and in several brands of equipment. It's a sure winner of a choice. Plus there are also several variations to it. And it also comes in a bolt on TURBO version for Caterpillar and others. So upgrading to the Turbo should be plug-n-play to up the Hp later on. Plus, Shibaura has been making engines and tractors for several decades. Very reliable.

The Kubota MC4800F V2403CR engine is found only in the Kubota brand of equipment. Not in any other brand. So, you will only be stuck with getting parts from Kubota with limited aftermarket. Sure, it could be a good machine, yet pricey in the long haul of things.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

My opinion after having a less then 30HP compact tractor and trading it this year for an over 30 HP tractor and after taking with several owners of less then 30 HP compact tractors is don't buy one the frame size of a 30 series John Deere or a 10 series Kioti that is less then 30 HP.....They are way under powered for their size. I have a Kioti CK3510, which is 35 HP, as my small tractor and I am very happy with the HP for the size and it was not all that much more then the CK 2610 which is 26HP....I think that it is always better to go a little more HP then you think you need.....Better to have more then you need then need more then you have.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking the dame thing and I am glad you confirmed it. I did not want a tractor that was on the lower end of the PTO power needed to run my implements. I also noticed that there are many used 23-25 HP tractors for sell making me think that people buy them and realize they needed a bigger tractor. I also noticed all those little tractors have mowers on the bottom making me think they are not much more than a lawn tractor. My two choices now are a used New Holland TC 30 or a new Kubota L3301. (30 & 33 HP respectively). The New Holland is 15 years old with 240 hours. I might rent the Kubota for a day and see what it can do to help me decide.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did look at tractor house and did not see anything I liked near me. I had better luck on Craigslist. But I learned that you have to keep looking and be patient.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I was thinking the dame thing and I am glad you confirmed it. I did not want a tractor that was on the lower end of the PTO power needed to run my implements. I also noticed that there are many used 23-25 HP tractors for sell making me think that people buy them and realize they needed a bigger tractor. I also noticed all those little tractors have mowers on the bottom making me think they are not much more than a lawn tractor. My two choices now are a used New Holland TC 30 or a new Kubota L3301. (30 & 33 HP respectively). The New Holland is 15 years old with 240 hours. I might rent the Kubota for a day and see what it can do to help me decide.

you can get a mower on machines easily big enough to do your work, so don't use that as your only criteria. For instance, I know my father's Kubota L series tractor had the option for a mower deck from Japan, and several larger machines have it as an option as well.
One big thing to consider with any recently built machine is going to be emissions. They don't kick in till after 25 hp, so the number of 25hp machines are a bit skewed. I imagine in general you would be happier with a bigger machine of any given power rating than the smaller equivalent. There is more to just PTO hp when it comes to running an implement.

·
Administrator
11,065 Posts
you can get a mower on machines easily big enough to do your work, so don't use that as your only criteria. For instance, I know my father's Kubota L series tractor had the option for a mower deck from Japan, and several larger machines have it as an option as well.
One big thing to consider with any recently built machine is going to be emissions. They don't kick in till after 25 hp, so the number of 25hp machines are a bit skewed. I imagine in general you would be happier with a bigger machine of any given power rating than the smaller equivalent. There is more to just PTO hp when it comes to running an implement.
Good to see you Groo

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A dealer did mention that the 25 HP tractors do mot require DEF but anything bigger does. I tried to get a new two wheel drive tractor with a loader to reduce cost, but the dealer said they were obsolete and he probably could not find one for me. Four wheel drive adds about four thousand dollars.
So I am mow considering these two options
New Kubota L3301 with four wheel drive and loader. 33 Gross HP and around 27 HP for PTO
vs
2010 New Holland TT45A with loader. Two wheel drive and 340 hours. Garage kept. Gross HP 40 and PTO 35
New Holland is $12,000 cheaper. No DEF. Less electronics. It is much closer to the power and size of my Ford 3000 that I was used to. Hours are low. More lifting power. It does not have four wheel drive and may have maintenance issues based on age instead of hours such as dry rot tires or dried out seals.
My preference is the larger, used, less expensive New Holland. Can anyone suggest reasons to go with the Kubota?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
A dealer did mention that the 25 HP tractors do mot require DEF but anything bigger does. I tried to get a new two wheel drive tractor with a loader to reduce cost, but the dealer said they were obsolete and he probably could not find one for me. Four wheel drive adds about four thousand dollars.
So I am mow considering these two options
New Kubota L3301 with four wheel drive and loader. 33 Gross HP and around 27 HP for PTO
vs
2010 New Holland TT45A with loader. Two wheel drive and 340 hours. Garage kept. Gross HP 40 and PTO 35
New Holland is $12,000 cheaper. No DEF. Less electronics. It is much closer to the power and size of my Ford 3000 that I was used to. Hours are low. More lifting power. It does not have four wheel drive and may have maintenance issues based on age instead of hours such as dry rot tires or dried out seals.
My preference is the larger, used, less expensive New Holland. Can anyone suggest reasons to go with the Kubota?

DEF does not kick in at 25HP DEF engines kick in much higher then that.....The only thing that kicks in at 25HP on newer ones is the DPF (diesel particulate filter) and emissions associated with that......I have had 3 tractors now that are new emissions tractors and outside of having to do a regen or two, I have not had any problems with them but I have not put over 1,000 hours on any of the new emission tractors yet. I have however put several hundred thousand miles on DEF semi trucks and have had both good and back luck....Some engine builders have gotten it somewhat figured out and some not so much.....Some on here will tell you not to buy a tractor with the new emissions on them but I am not one of them but I do things much differently.....I buy a tractor new and keep it for 4 or 5 years and trade it in for a new one so mine don't ever get out of warranty. I do the same thing with my daily driver trucks......

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I landed a great deal in my opinion. A 2010 New Holland TT45A diesel with 323 hours. Bush Hog Front end loader and rear hydraulics. Beautiful condition. All for $15,500. I saw it pop up and texted 2 hours after it posted. Another buyer was scheduled to view it but he delayed. I was not going to take off work to view the tractor, but I got a call from the foundation people saying they were coming the next day to pour the piers and beams for my mother in laws house and I needed to be there. I took off for the foundation and then rented a trailer and went to pick it up. 3 people were already trying to get this tractor and by happenstance I got there first. It is about the same size and power as my old Ford 3000 but with the FEL and so much more. No DEF or emissions to worry about. Way more power and lift capacity than the 33 HP new Kubota I was considering and $11,000 cheaper. I am truly amazed at what this tractor can do compared to the Ford 3000 that I called Bluey. I will call this new blue sweetheart Bluey2.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I landed a great deal in my opinion. A 2010 New Holland TT45A diesel with 323 hours. Bush Hog Front end loader and rear hydraulics. Beautiful condition. All for $15,500. I saw it pop up and texted 2 hours after it posted. Another buyer was scheduled to view it but he delayed. I was not going to take off work to view the tractor, but I got a call from the foundation people saying they were coming the next day to pour the piers and beams for my mother in laws house and I needed to be there. I took off for the foundation and then rented a trailer and went to pick it up. 3 people were already trying to get this tractor and by happenstance I got there first. It is about the same size and power as my old Ford 3000 but with the FEL and so much more. No DEF or emissions to worry about. Way more power and lift capacity than the 33 HP new Kubota I was considering and $11,000 cheaper. I am truly amazed at what this tractor can do compared to the Ford 3000 that I called Bluey. I will call this new blue sweetheart Bluey2.

Cool......Congrats.......Single rear remotes or dual for the hydros? Used tractor prices are crazy right now in most areas and you have to act fast or anything good at all is gone. New ones seem to be hard to come by in most areas right now also......When I bought my last one, this spring, my local Kioti dealer only had 1 new one in stock that was over 25 horse.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Single rear remote. I want it for the hydraulic top link. Once I found the hydraulic top link, life was not worth living without it. I could also use it for a log splitter some day. The seller sold this on consignment. The owner had larger tractors so he rarely used this one. I guess he wanted to get rid of it fast. It lasted 41 hours after posting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts