Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the new Troy-Bilt tillers while visiting a local multi-brand dealer. The big Horse model looked close to the quality of the original Troy-Bilts, but it seemed the little guys were closer to what I would expect from MTD. Gosh darned expensive! But I guess they always were. Anyone spend $2999 on a Horse recently? I'll be keeping my 1980 model running a while longer at that price.:D

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
If you have an 80 model Horse, I would keep it running for another 24 years and buy some replacement parts. $3000 is just too much to spend for something like that. My Land Pride pto tiller didn't cost that much. The Horse is a nice machine. My brother-inlaw has one and loves his. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
:homereat:

True... True... I bought a '92 Pony with 5hp Briggs. Great machine, I paid $495, in great condition, came with Hiller/Furrower and bumper. I put new oil seals in the back and new lube, took an hour and cost under $10.

All Troy-Bilt tillers are of the same quality and materials as when Garden-Way owned the company. MTD purchased name, lock, stock and barrel. Its a proven design, expensive and profitable for them to sell.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just a couple comments.....our map price on the Horse is 1899.00....right now there's a free bumper promo on that model as well. 2999.00 sounds like a price error.
All the tillers in the line are the original Gardenway designs improved with better paint and build quality over the GW product. mTD's contribution was huge when it came to stabilizing parts availability and lookup software. They also introduced the counter rotating tine model this year.
Designs are excellent tillers.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neil,
I should have described the Horse I saw in more detail. It was the 10 HP model with elec. start, bumper and PTO if that makes a difference. My old tiller was just over $800 and was my second installment loan as a young adult. Troy-Bilt offered 3% financing, which in 1980 was an incredible bargain if you guys remember what interest rates were then (typically in the teens). It took me a year to pay it off. One of the best machines and investments I ever made.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well I expect I will break down and buy a tiller later this year, after all those in this area gets tired and worn out from using them. Its not unusual to be able to find a Troy or sometimes a BCS tiller for 1/3 or 1/2 the price and only used one season by the herds of wanna be country dwellers in this area, when they find it easier to open a can than plant a garden........

Seriously considering a BCS brand though with the independant drive wheel brakes. Its a bit more than a TB, but it does come with a great warranty and has a good reputation.

The Atlas tiller I had been using for a few years now is going to be going back to its owner later this year, as I had it to keep and use until he got situated in a place he could use it, as he had lived in an apartment and inherited it a few years ago when his father died...........It has been a good machine, and if they were still made I would also consider one of them. On its label on the main cover it has all the specs on the machine, and then compares it to TB 8 hp HOrse model, and the Atlas has more overall than the TB offered, and if you did not know it was Atlas, it works as well as or maybe even better than a TB does. PArts are basic and easy to get, at most any industrial supplier, nothing proprieatery at all, just the basics in a good design.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Well I expect I will break down and buy a tiller later this year, after all those in this area gets tired and worn out from using them. Its not unusual to be able to find a Troy or sometimes a BCS tiller for 1/3 or 1/2 the price and only used one season by the herds of wanna be country dwellers in this area, when they find it easier to open a can than plant a garden........

Seriously considering a BCS brand though with the independant drive wheel brakes. Its a bit more than a TB, but it does come with a great warranty and has a good reputation.

The Atlas tiller I had been using for a few years now is going to be going back to its owner later this year, as I had it to keep and use until he got situated in a place he could use it, as he had lived in an apartment and inherited it a few years ago when his father died...........It has been a good machine, and if they were still made I would also consider one of them. On its label on the main cover it has all the specs on the machine, and then compares it to TB 8 hp HOrse model, and the Atlas has more overall than the TB offered, and if you did not know it was Atlas, it works as well as or maybe even better than a TB does. PArts are basic and easy to get, at most any industrial supplier, nothing proprieatery at all, just the basics in a good design.

This Atlas is 26" wide, 8 hp IC B & S motor, with 6 tines on each section or a total of 24 tines, and it tills 2 inches deeper than a TB does, and weighs about 50# more. The only thing I would change on this tiller is handle bar height, as even its lowest setting is still a bit high for me especially with a bad arm and elbows, it gets tough sometimes, but since it was not mine, I did not drill a new lower mounting adjustment hole which would solve that problem very easy. He told me to go and drill it, and not worry about it, but I have feelings about modifying something that is not mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts