1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread.
    Dismiss Notice

2004 T-1000 quits after running

Discussion in 'Craftsman / Sears' started by FreedomWriter, Apr 19, 2017.

1. FreedomWriter

FreedomWriter New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I need help with a 2004 Craftsman t-1000 17 1/2 HP. I can start it up, use it a little while, then out of nowhere it will just quit running like it's getting to hot or something. I let it cool down and it will start running again. It also will quit when I dis-engage the blades. During the time i have it running, whenever i switch from forward to reverse, as im going along, i can tell it starts trying to cut the engine off as well, so i try and shift it slowly and that seems to help it for a while until it heats up. Any suggestions on what to possibly check?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. jhngardner367

jhngardner367 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    Welcome to the forum!
    Does it only do it if the blades are engaged ?
    You could have a defective safety switch,or a weak Armature(coil).
    The next time it cuts out, Pull the spark plug wire off the plug, and check for spark .
    If it has spark, I would check for fuel, and / or compression.
    If no spark, Check the ignition switch,and the safety switches,or low oil level.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

3. FreedomWriter

FreedomWriter New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Yes when the blades are going. I have noticed some cracking in the fuel line just passed the filter but wasn't sure if that would do it. I noticed my coil wire is overlapping the engine. Those two things I haven't replaced yet. Trying to figure this out on the cheap.

4. wjjones

wjjones Moderator Staff Member

May 27, 2010
    Another possibility is your fuel cap. But as Mr. John mentioned its most likely the coil. I would think a bad safety switch would just work, or not but not slowly go out.

5. jhngardner367

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    Had a tractor ,in Michigan that worked great,for 20 minutes,or so,then die.
    Found out the safety switch was getting hot,and breaking contact.

wjjones likes this.
  6. wjjones

May 27, 2010

Glad you mentioned that Mr. John I have a neighbor with a similar problem. His will run 15 to 20 minutes, and then just die after a few minutes it will start back, and repeat the same cycle all over. We have went through everything else.

7. FreedomWriter

FreedomWriter New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Hello. Sorry I haven't been on here in awhile but was having log in issues. Well to update my problem with my Craftsman t-1000. I have replaced the coil, seat switch, gas cap, fuel filter. Changed the oil and it still is getting hot and shutting down. I looked online and people are saying that the transmission might need the fluid changed even though they are supposed to be non serviceable. Anybody have anymore thoughts of what I can do next, or thoughts about the transmission?

8. jhngardner367

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    Unless the trans is dragging it won't cause it to overheat,and shut down.
    However,after re-reading your first post, I'm inclined to think valve adjustment,or,as I said earlier,coil,or switch.
    Also,make sure the cooling fins ,on the cylinder are clear of debris,and that the right weight of oil is used.
    One other thing,you can check,is the fuel solenoid,on the carb bowl.
    A bad wire,or ground will cause it to shut off fuel.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Thomas likes this.
  9. jhngardner367

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    Something I just ran across:
    Craftsman has had trouble with the ignition switches shorting,when hot,or under load....as in when engaging/disengaging the blades.Put a jumper wire from the battery (+) to the main fuse,with a toggle switch,and once it's running turn on the toggle switch,and see if it still does it.
    If it does, then start checking all the safety switches, starting with the blade switch.
    If it keeps running it's the ignition switch.

Thomas likes this.
  10. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun Member

May 8, 2007
    The fuse is between the battery and the key switch.
    You are only jumping 1/2 way TO the key switch.
    It might check the fuse/holder if jumped to the KS side of the fuse.

OP-
    Post the Sears 917.xxxxxx number found under the seat.
    That way, one could possibly find the correct electrical schematic amongst the 200+ Craftsman schematic out there. There may be a more obscure "electrical" reason.
    Meanwhile, clean the carb.

11. jhngardner367

Apr 4, 2011
    Lonoke,Arkansas
    Basically you're trying to eliminate the key switch,in the test,so I suppose ,after it's running,you can just unplug the switch.

Hoodoo Valley and wjjones like this.
  12. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun Member

May 8, 2007
    You have to bridge across the key switch to test.
    You haven't got that far, if jumping from the battery to the fuse, since the fuse is between the battery & key switch.
    Somewhat "typical LT 1000 schematic posted.

Attached Files:

13. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    Does it have a manual, or electric pto? Im guessing manual pto. As mentioned check your valves.

14. FreedomWriter

FreedomWriter New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Hello. I know that it' been awhile since I've posted on the site about my craftsman LT1000 mower. I am still being plagued by the same problem that I had back when I was posting about before. I have done about everything I can think of to track down the problem. I've replaced the seat switch, coil, fuel line. I've cleaned the fins, changed the oil and even tried to run the mower with the hood off, thinking it might help run cooler. It did not. Now with another mowing season about to start, I am faced with this once again. If anyone could make anymore suggestions of something to try, I'm all ears! Thank you in advance...

15. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun Member

May 8, 2007
    Have you verified you actually have spark when it kills? Always a chance of another bad coil-

Try loosening the gas cap when it stalls. Wait a few seconds and see if it starts & runs for a similar amount of time. If the cap isn't venting, you may be drawing a vacuum in the tank.

wjjones likes this.
  16. FreedomWriter

FreedomWriter New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I guess I should'e added that I have replaced the gas cap as well. When it quits running I just let it sit for maybe 5 minutes and then I am able to restart and go for a short period of time. I'm perplexed as to what could be wrong with it.

wjjones likes this.
  17. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    I would go with Mr. Bills recommendation, and get a new coil. Also make sure the air gap is correct between it, and the flywheel. I always take a piece of sandpaper, or wire wheel to the flywheel magnet gently just enough to clean off the rust.

18. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun Member

May 8, 2007
    I've asked a couple questions and you haven't answered any of them.
    One can't help those who won't help themselves.

19. wjjones

May 27, 2010
    Are you having a bad day Mr. Bill?

20. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun Member

May 8, 2007
    And exactly why would you say that other than trying to stir things up?

It makes it a lot easier if one can look at a schematic etc. to see if there is something obscure like an OPR that's causing the problem.
    One can't look at a schematic if the OP WON'T provide the model#

Since you don't like my methods, I fully expect YOU to help this poster.