Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my explorer yesturday and was wonderin something. When I reached about 45 mph and tried to go faster nothing would happed, then idk how to explain but like the trans caught up and finally started going faster. Kinda like it wasnt catchin a gear and finally did inbetween shifts you know. Maybe not shifting right. It would take about 15 seconds for anything to happen. Now does this mean trans rebuilt? Am I driving wrong? Cause I am new driver so that could be it I guess. Oh yeah its an automatic.
Thanks
Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
If it gradually slides into the next gear, that would make me lean torwards the transmission is slipping.

Check your trans fluid levels before driving it again (engine running).

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
Check for any vaccum leaks. If you haven't already; I would suggest changing the trans fluid and filter or if you have the money, try the trans. flush places that completely replace the fluid by flushing and change the filter first.

·
674 Posts
How many miles? Does trans fluid look nice and red, or old and burnt? Maybe needs fluid change and filter. Also should check vacume line to trans and or modulator valve. If it has one.
good luck.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions/help. I don't know how many miles but I will check next time I drive it. How do I check the trans fuel level? same with vaccum leaks?
Ryan

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
To check the transmission fluid the dipstick is generally on the passenger side next to the firewall on the Explorer. To check the fluid start the engine and let it warm up to normal operating temperature, normally for 15 minutes at idle, Pull the stick out (it is long) and check that the fluid should be red and between the two marks on the stick, if it isn't go to the local parts store and buy the fluid that the folks at the part store recommend for your transmission generally it will be Ford type transmission fluid and will state so on the plastic bottle (Oh yea also pick up a long funnel at the part store also). Using the long funnel, Put in a quarter of the bottle at a time into the transmission (This stuff pores fast). Then recheck the dipstick if it is between the marks on the dipstick then it is full. If not keep adding until it is. If you go to NAPA someone there can show how it is done properly and will assist you to making sure it right if you tell them you do not have the knowledge yet but are willing to learn.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For right now we can't We dont have the trailer wiring. Good thing too then cause was going to tow my go-cart with it back from school. Its going into shop soon because a dilivery guy from air borne express backed into it.
Ryan

·
Registered
136 Posts
check the SENSOR on those ELECTRONIC trannys... it can do some funny things when they get some age on them... you can usually tell if it's Intermittant. it's electrical... all the time, Mechanical..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts