Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i am looking at getting me a Bronco soon. My question is did the 81 broncos have the solid front axle? Any "problem" areas on this year bronco?

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
No the 80-96 Broncos had the Twin traction beam suspenction. As for problem areas, rust is the biggy. Tailgates, and rear wheel arches. Other then that just wear and tear stuff. I love my '95!!!

Check this site out....

www.fullsizebronco.com

·
Registered
157 Posts
i must say, broncos are sweet...when i was growing up my dad had a big ole mother, and we used to take it out and beat it in the farm field...it only started on fire once. It took alickin and kept on tickin thats for sure (it ran over lots of things)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front axle is still pretty tough tho right? I plan on putting a 6 inch suspension lift in with 36 inch tires if I do end up buying it.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
no the sheet metal bodywork over the wheel.

36" are pushing it. It will live pretty well up to 35's. Lite use with 36's would probably work.

Never been to Project bronco. I will have to check it out

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much work would be involved with swapping in a dana 44? or dana 60? Would I have to get a different lift kit then I would with the stock axle?

Ryan

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
can be done, but is not cheap to do it right. Visit fullsizebronco.com, they have a whole forum just on SAS swaps.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
If you lok at a dif center section, you will see that the pinion shaft[the part the drive shaft hooks to] is mounted off center. Most difs have in below the centerline of the ring gear. Now a high pinion axle, has the pinion shaft above the centerline. Not many rear axles are setup this way, but a lot of fronts are. The front axle of the little Jeep cherokees for one. What this does, is give you better drive shaft angles. With a short wheel bace, if you put in to much lift, the angle of the drive shaft will be a lot. This will cause the Ujoints to wear faster. With the High pinion dif, the drive shaft will hook up higher, so give you less angle. Not realy needed in the rear of a Bronco, unless you are going HUGE lift. But handy in a small 4x4 like an old CJ.

BTW that 81 should have one of the BEST axles in the world under it. The 9". ALL kinds of parts for it tohandle almost anything you put to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts