Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very rare 1978 gt18 that's has been stored inside all its life.
it was used for 2 years at a house with 1 acre yard and then put in garage and never used again.
Has the Onan engine that looks new when you open the hood. shines like it did when it came from Huntsville Alabama, where it was made.
Beautiful time capsule that is all original. even the gas filter looks new,, never changed.
6 speed with 2 reverse. Perfect deck that hardly has a scratch on it.
original blades, tires and trailer ball with light.
This thing is in awesome shape, almost too nice to use.
it has the rare factory wheel weights on back.
Even has an original paper sticker on the hood that NO ONE has.

not a 5 year rebuild,
its a Clean up and Show item. ready to win.
you can't rebuild one and make it look like this.

no attachments.

I am in Nashville Tn. I know what I want but I'm open to offers.
pictures soon. it wont last long.
I just wish it was an old car, it would be worth big money

Serious Only
Lets talk about it...

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Photos would probably really help with galvanizing the condition. :D

·
Premium Member
12,412 Posts
Wow! That'll put a smile on someones face!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That is indeed the kind of garage find that guys dream about. I've been collecting/restoring vintage lawn tractors as a hobby since the mid-90's and that's the very best I've ever seen in the way of a "find". With that background, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, since its taken you 9 months to post pictures, that you're not getting the offers you think it's worth.

That's because in the end it's still a Sears GT18 (Roper). What you have to a true collector is a 4-door Ford Galaxie with 200 miles on it. A GT18 is not that rare, or even a top of line machine from the 70's. If it were a Case, Bolens, or Wheel Horse then it would be worth some serious $$$ in that shape. The best thing about it is the B43 Onan and even that's not the B48. Going back to the 4-door Galaxie… It has the 289 and not the 390.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a jerk, but I'm guessing I'm not telling you anything you haven't heard after having it for 9 months, or are going to hear from guys like me. Serious collectors that a go to the vintage lawn tractor shows, that are willing to spend the money you probably think it's worth, always have the before & after restoration pictures... With yours, it's the before & after pressure washing pictures. There's nothing to really brag about with saying "Look what I bought on-line". Serious collectors don't actually consider the GT18 a LAWN TRACTOR, they look at it as a mid-range LAWN MOWER for it's day. There's a huge difference to a true collector. It's like the difference between a muscle car out of the 60's and the 4-door your Mom drove

It is indeed a rare find for the age/condition and I wouldn't give it up cheap either. If I were you and still trying to get top $$$ for it, I would contact Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine and see if they would run one of their Feature Articles on it. That's your best market for it to get top $$$.
http://www.lagtmag.com/

Good Luck with that really nice find and I hope I haven't offended you...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts