1. When diagnosing an issue, or showing off your tractor or implement, it's important to add images so we all know what you're talking about. Especially when it comes to issues and repairs it's important to include as many images as possible to help our members diagnose your issue. To upload images, use the Upload a FIle button found towards the bottom right of the post response box or a new thread.
    Dismiss Notice

1975 IH 3500 Series A Backhoe Won't Start

Discussion in 'Case / Farmall - International Harvester' started by Andrew Vogt, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Andrew Vogt

Andrew Vogt New Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I recently received this backhoe from a friend to borrow and use while I build my house. I had an excavation company tree my lot a few months ago and pile all the brush up to burn. I used the backhoe about a month ago to move brush around and keep the fire going, but was only able to burn about half the pile.

I went back to my land to burn the rest of the brush pile this weekend, but could not get the backhoe to start. When turning the key, all I get is a loud click noise. I checked the battery, looked fine, but still put a charger on it overnight. Next day, same click sound. I brought the battery in to get checked out and everything looks fine.

Here is a video of the sound when turning the key:

Is there something wrong with the starter? Or is it seized up?

2. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Active Member

Jan 25, 2015
    IF you still have it off.. & have a battery charger or jumper cables, it easy to test.
    Clamp the neg to "an ear" & touch the pos to the small connection..
    Have it clamped in a vise or put your foot on it while doing this.. IT WILL JUMP..
    & while its off.. take a screwdriver or something & try to move the engine using the flywheel.. maybe the engine is stuck??