Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tractor is a gas model. The coil has been replaced. The issue i am having is this happens not all the time but when i give it a decent workout like yesterday i was bushogging for about 3 hrs it starts to sputter and back fire and want to stall.
Any ideas from the tractor experts out there? Is my tractor just getting worn out. Last year a friend came over and we did a compression test and had if i remember around 120 psi on all 3 cylinders.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
31 Posts
My tractor is a gas model. The coil has been replaced. The issue i am having is this happens not all the time but when i give it a decent workout like yesterday i was bushogging for about 3 hrs it starts to sputter and back fire and want to stall.
Any ideas from the tractor experts out there? Is my tractor just getting worn out. Last year a friend came over and we did a compression test and had if i remember around 120 psi on all 3 cylinders.

Thanks
Greg
Hi Greg .Have you changed your fuel filter as that was the problem on a Fordson that was doing a similar thing I was once using on a farm over here in Australia .Tks Larry

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Acceptable compression for a Ford 3000 gas engine 120-150 PSI with all plugs removed and choke and throttle wide open. Tolerable difference between cylinders 25 PSI. Your compression is fine.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
OK, there are at least 2 fuel screens before the sediment bowl.
1) There is a screen in the top of the sediment bowl. Item #29 on attached diagram.
2) There is a screen up inside the fuel tank. It is a cylindrical shaped screen attached to the fuel shut off valve. Item #10 on attached diagram.
3) If your tractor has a fuel pump, there should be a fuel screen in the inlet to the pump. I cannot find it on the diagram. May or may not be there.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks
Greg
Is your tractor running hot? If not, I would check your spark plugs and distributor cap.

·
Registered
186 Posts
#1...Do you have a fuel lift pump?
#2...Were you working a slope or rough terrain?
#3...What was the fuel tank level when sputtering started?
#4...The sediment bowl should be full of fuel with or without a lift pump and provide steady supply to the carb.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Also,
In an attempt to replicate the problem…..
Tractor level, operating temp at PTO-RPM…. shut off fuel at tank, when it’s running out of fuel, rev throttle, etc.
Replicated exactly or different response? I'm kinda interested in backfire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put gas in it the other day and started it. The sediment bowl didn't fill up? Was going to try and remove it this Friday and see if clogged? Any other suggestions what could possibly be?????
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know last year i checked the filter in the gas tank and it was clean. Also from time to time i get gas coming out of weep hole on carb not sure if that makes a difference?? Why wouldn't the sediment bowl fill up when tractor had gas put in it and was started? Sorry for the questions i am newer to this having only owned this ford for about 3 years

·
Registered
186 Posts
As @Ultradog has suggested, the filters are the first concern when chasing fuel supply restrictions and you could also have restrictions within the rerouting or splicing of the fuel lines in bypassing the pump.

Your tractor can obviously function with gravity feed in a lot of conditions, most often while being somewhat level, as you’ve experienced. To mitigate “lack of fuel” problems, in the mid 60’s Ford opted to provide positive fuel pressure to the carburetor via a lift pump.
But again, on somewhat level ground, you should be able to provide a fuel supply to the sediment bowl prior to installing a pump, as the tractor has been doing for the past three years.

Lack of, or intermittent fuel supply could answer part of your initial question.
Backfire through the exhaust while depleting the fuel supply however, could indicate an additional issue to address within this thread.
“2 birds 1 stone” kinda thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seem like i have had lot of issues with this tractor since i have acquired it. Found where guy drilled through steering column ran small tube out of it instead of replacing gasket i am bout ready to give up on this instead of investing more and more money and time and fing by something more modern. A shame i as do enjoy working this old tractor just not sure how much money i need to invest in it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts